Half Dollar Roll Hunting

etaucher86

May 27, 2011
Chambersburg, PA
I'v heard of ppl going out and doing coin roll hunting, so I decided I wanted to give it a try. So yesterday I went out to about 5 banks and asked everyone of them if they had and half dollar rolls. Most of them only had a few in there change. So I decided to go to one last bank before I went home, I stopped in and asked if they had any half dollar rolls. They said yes someone just brought in $250 worth, did I want any? I told them I would buy $20 worth, just to see what I find. So they went back and got me 2 rolls, I went outside opened them up and right away I find 1 or 2 1964 Kennedy Halfs :o, so I go back in and buy every roll that they have. And I also picked up 6 1964 and older quaters that they had sitting in there change holders :headbang:. So I went over to my parents house and opened up all the rolls. At the end of that hunt I had 20! 1964 Kennedy halfs, 1 1963 Franklin half and 5 1965-1970 Kennedy halfs! SWEET! :laughing9:

So today I hit up about 10 more banks and looking for more silver quarters and halfs, just about every bank I went to and asked if they had any real shinny quarters in there change holders, they all said "No we dont have any silver coins, once we get them in, we take them for ourselfs" :-\

I did come onto 1 bank that $700 worth of halfs but not one roll had any silver, they where already looked thru :(. But I did manage to score 1 more 1964 quarter and 19 more 1965-1970 Halfs, so all in all for 2 days worth of beginners hunting I came out with 20 1964 90% halfs, 7 90% quarters, 24 40% halfs and 1 1963 Frankling 90% silver. I think Im going to be buying a $500 box of halfs and see what I find, I no Im not going to find silver everytime but you never know.

Upvote 0

CHAINCHOMP

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2010
Colorado Springs CO.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QS
awesome finds!!! big congrats! also, welcome to the forum!!!!!!!! good luck on the box! keep it up and hh! [R.I.P. Rich Hartford]

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Nice finds!!!!

As a word to the wise, try not to use the word silver when you ask for coins. When you do, you are often training your tellers to be silver pickers.

OP
OP
E

etaucher86

May 27, 2011
Chambersburg, PA
Not once did I ask any of the tellers if they had any silver, what I did was show them 1 silver "shinny" quarter and 1 regular standing right next to each other. And I asked them if they had any of this real shinny quarters. And 90% of the tellers right off hand said "We don't have any silver, we keep them for ourself when we find them" lol

kb4iqm

Mar 26, 2011
Southeastern Tennessee
etaucher86 said:
Not once did I ask any of the tellers if they had any silver, what I did was show them 1 silver "shinny" quarter and 1 regular standing right next to each other. And I asked them if they had any of this real shinny quarters. And 90% of the tellers right off hand said "We don't have any silver, we keep them for ourself when we find them" lol
You don't have to say the word silver to train tellers to be more observant of the coins in their trays or that they are handing out. The majority of tellers are already aware that some coins were silver, but due to them dealing with change so much, most get "desensed" to paying much attention to that change as it passes through their hands. To show them a silver coin can remind some to pay more attention to the change they handle.

I get asked almost daily if I'm looking for silver... I tell them I'm looking for coin dates, mint marks, and condition. I usually add in that yes, some older coins may be silver, but they are rarely found anymore. This tends to affirm to them that silver coins are rarely found and not worth hunting :laughing7:

Bob

coincrawlin

Sep 13, 2010
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are very nice numbers...and welcome to the "club". I think many here have had great luck their first couple times searching, myself included, but then things start to taper off the more you search. Best of luck!

PS...everybody loves pictures if you can take some :icon_thumright:

NolanTheExplorer

May 11, 2011
Virginia
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, AT Max, ProPointer, Ace 250, GTA 1250, Radio Shack Bounty Hunter, Eye Balls, Intuition, Instinct.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
i posted this pic on today's finds (yesterday), but wanted to show this forum as well.
im sorry for posting picture on your thread etaucher, but thought it was most appropriate.
yesterday my dad bought me 1 roll of halfs. as soon as he handed me the roll, i was staring a walking liberty in the face. man she looked gooood! :notworthy:
:headbang:

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    196.7 KB · Views: 1,870
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    196.7 KB · Views: 891
OP
OP
E

etaucher86

May 27, 2011
Chambersburg, PA
No harm done, I dont mind you posting the picture, man I would LOVE to find those Libertys in my rolls. Enjoy the pictures. O, I was mistaken I only have 23 40% halfs.

hpqscan0006.jpg

hpqscan0002.jpg

hpqscan0003l.jpg

hpqscan0005.jpg

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey, welcome to the forum!!! Try out those boxes, you have nothing to lose!!! Also, love the pictures, really nice coins!!! all deserve to be in 2x2 holders.. I put all my finds(silver or not except wheat pennies and pre 1960 nickels) in cardboard 2x2 holders to protect them...

Keep on searching!

HH
BuffaloBoy

OP
OP
E

etaucher86

May 27, 2011
Chambersburg, PA
I have those hard plasic coin roll holders, I have all of my 90% and 40% in those. I got bored and decided to stick my oldest quarter and my Frankling in the 2x2 holder. Only problem is I didnt no they where going to be so hard to get reopen, I only got bored and wanted to see what they would look like in the holders. An now there in there for good unless I break open the plastic holders. O-Well the holders are Air-Tight , so the coins will never again feel the air. lol

OP
OP
E

etaucher86

May 27, 2011
Chambersburg, PA
Ok, nothing much to report on, other then I went to maybe 15 banks and every single one of them said they will not order in half dollars :'( So I decided to try $200 worth of dimes, and ended up with a 1963. So after that I decided I was gonna call the banks an not waste my time driving to them. I did find a bank thats about 30 mins away from me, and they said they can order in a minium of $500 at a time, SCORE! They did tell me I need to have an account and it cost $10 dollars to open it and all I need in it is $10. So Im gonna be heading down to that bank here in the next few days an opening an account, so I can start coin roll hunting in a larger scale.

A

Ag_Forager

Nice job! In two days you've found more silver than I have in 7 months. That'll get you hooked :)

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You don't have to say the word silver to train tellers to be more observant of the coins in their trays or that they are handing out. The majority of tellers are already aware that some coins were silver, but due to them dealing with change so much, most get "desensed" to paying much attention to that change as it passes through their hands. To show them a silver coin can remind some to pay more attention to the change they handle.

I get asked almost daily if I'm looking for silver... I tell them I'm looking for coin dates, mint marks, and condition. I usually add in that yes, some older coins may be silver, but they are rarely found anymore. This tends to affirm to them that silver coins are rarely found and not worth hunting :laughing7:

Bob

I second that. while tellers almost all know about silver coins, most have pretty inaccurate information about what they are. I hear the wrong dates of silver coins all the time from tellers. For example, just the other day a teller said "I already searched those rolls, you won't find any silver." I started talking to her more, turns out she only keeps really old silver halves like walkers, she doesn't think 1964's have much silver in them at all!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread