Joined awhile back - just now posting

Bentfork

Jan 4, 2010
Oklahoma
Greetings. As mentioned I joined awhile back. Just now getting one of those round-tuit things to post. I've been CRH off and on since my dad and I started back in the early 60s. He was a collector and I more or less continued.

I've wondered why folks have been posting skunks - now I know. Frustration. Up until silver went over $40 a couple of months ago the finds were decent in the OK City metro area. Once it hit $40 the silver vaporized. I have been noticing like others on this forum the finds seems to be drying up. I picked up another $1K bag of halves today - my 12th in 2 months. I can already smell the odor. I have only found one bank that is willing to order halves and I have to keep the cost of the coins in my account balance. Shotgun rolled dimes from Loomis is down to 1 silver per box. Recently I got an order of 4 boxes of dimes from Loomis. They were all 2011. I even begged a box of dimes (not ordered) from a local bank. It too was all 2011s. Occasionally I will find a few halves in a teller's tray, but not many. And the banks I frequent (many) don't even have anyone's dumps. Guess as soon as they get any they send them out. That or someone comes along 20 minutes after someone dumps and buys them. As far as customer rolled dimes, they seem to be scarce also. Now it's getting difficult. I have plenty of time to do road trips and I'm finding it hard to even find customer rolled dimes. I guess roll hunters are snatching those up immediately too. Of course I get the, "I have lots of quarters". No thanks.

You folks that are managing to find silver still in circulation - enjoy the finds.

HH
Bentfork

Upvote 0

brendan1414

Apr 9, 2011
if you have the funds.. do the quarters. many are moving to that point, and finding about 1 per 1 or 2 boxes... it is a decent amount of silver... and if you want check for proofs and error coins... could be fun?

kb4iqm

Mar 26, 2011
Southeastern Tennessee
Greetings Bentfork, welcome to the forum :hello:

All of the dime, nickel, and penny boxes coming in now around here are filled with solid 2011's, so I've been forced to just buy as much as I can find in CWR's as they come in. I have tellers saving CWR's for me, and passing out the new rolls to the customers buying change. It's not going to take long in the small town areas around here for the older coins to dry up some for a while. Once the coin services stop sending out all new, then things will get better again. Thank goodness for the bags from the bank coin machines, they certainly help. Not this week though. Due to the long holiday weekend, the banks I buy bags from said they had to put their orders in a day early this week. They had to sell their bags yesterday morning, a few hours before I showed up. Looking forward to next week.

I got used to being able to pick up a few grand in coins any time I want when I go out hunting locally, so you know it's getting bad when all I could scrape up today was a combined $147 in CWR's of nickels and dimes. I stopped buying boxes of halves after skunk #20 in a row. I may have to go back to buying some skunky boxes of halves just to have something to do :dontknow:

Bob

OP
OP
Bentfork

Bentfork

Jan 4, 2010
Oklahoma
Yep fellas, it's getting rough. I don't have a cash problem - I can pop for wherever the bank usually has on hand for customer rolled. The trend around here I've noted is banks will take customer rolls, but then they send them off. Usually after a day or two. Either that, or they don't take customer rolled at all and require you to use either a counter in the lobby or hand the coins to them and they will use their counter in the back. Banks that do take customer rolled don't necessarily require them to be deposited, the tellers will buy them. What I haven't figured out is who takes the loss if the rolls are short because the tellers tell me they don't open up customer rolls. If you want to buy them then you risk getting rooked.

This is quite a bit different from where I lived in CA. In the Antelope Valley none of the banks would allow tellers to accept customer rolled. If you wanted to give them rolled coins you had to deposit them and they were put into a bag and sent out with your account number.

Recently I have tried the quarters again since I can't seem to find dimes. But that was short lived because after approx $4K in quarters and not finding any, I have gone back to the "no thank" you when a teller does offer them.

I have made friends with quite a few bank tellers and they promise to hold for me, but the last call I got from a teller that silver came over the counter was back in October. Around her we have lots of older women tellers. You know - the kind that know what silver is and they hoard it themselves when it comes in the door. Can't blame them.

HH
Bentfork

kb4iqm

Mar 26, 2011
Southeastern Tennessee
Speaking of shorts, in the CWR nickels I picked up, there was a group of 10 new identically colored rolls. I counted each roll when I poured them out, every one of those rolls was short by one nickel. I'll report it to the head teller today and show her the rolls. Being a small town bank, you can pretty much count on her knowing who cashed them in yesterday. If she is made aware of this persons tactic, she'll be more careful about accepting rolls from that person. It's not that I am concerned about this particular small loss myself, but what if it had been rolls of quarters, or halves, or dollars, that someone was shorted on. Someone that will intentionally short 10 rolls of nickels has even more incentive to short higher denomination rolls of coins. If they get caught in the act by the bank, they can legally be charged with bank robbery.

I feel that people that intentionally defraud banks like that hurts us all. The banks that get defrauded may end up cutting off all CWR coin services and force everyone to use counters to dump and buy only new rolls. Enough of this happens and those of us in limited banking areas won't be able to find CWR's to buy.

Bob

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread