$1775 in halves on a trip to visit family

Bentfork

Jan 4, 2010
Oklahoma
The family and I decided to take a short trip and visit the wife's family. I managed to scrape up $1775 in halves while on the road. One bank was very willing to sell me their halves off the counting machine. I figured they were someone's dumps but I took them anyway. All total the finds were two 1987-P.

Of note, the banks (four total) in the town my wife was raised in (in Texas) do not take rolled coins for any reason. If you have an account the counting machine is free, if not the fee varies from bank to bank. But, none will take rolled coins at all. The coins have to be run through the counter deposit or not and they all the banks have counting machines.

HH

Gary

Upvote 0

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
A lot of banks don't take rolled coin because it is too easy to be short or long with them, it really isn't that unusual where I am, so I rarely roll coins because the vast majority of banks simply un roll them and stick them through the machine.

legend76

May 17, 2010
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in a very small town, and I went to the newest bank in town (been there ~5 years and I had opened a savings account at last year) with about $33 in rolled pennies. Teller takes them and says "Oh, you don't have to roll them, we have a counter in the back" :BangHead:. So, that is when I started doing pennies, I knew I had a place to dump Zincolns. The teller said she doesn't think the machine takes halves, but I guess I need to find out. i have been rolling my halves and taking to my CU.

HH,
Legend

OP
OP
Bentfork

Bentfork

Jan 4, 2010
Oklahoma
For years I used to re-roll coins and make up the difference when short. Then counters came along and I still got stiffed :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread