Help !! Questions about Making Banks Happy.

Piledriver

May 21, 2011
Oh Brother, do I have Problems. I would REALLY appreciate some input here.

First, let me detail the problem:

I have accounts with Chase (my main bank) (buy), Premier (dump), a CU (dump) South Valley (buy) and Sterling (buy). Everything was so cosy. Until yesterday.

My main bank at first agreed to order 4 boxes a week, but are now down to less than one. They wouldn't make a very good dump bank because you have to give them the coins to send with the AC service and you don't get credit until several days later. But I need the money within minutes to turn around and buy again the same day. I want to keep my main account there.

The next one Premier is a great bank, but I have stalled the machines twice with coin. (More than 2000) in one day gives them heart burn. They have to be shut down and left for a repair man, whenever he can be made to come fix it. (several day down time). THAT always makes me a favorite down there.
I asked them to tell me a reasonable limit to the amount of coin. Still waiting on that one.

Next.
Got an interview from the Assist. Manager from the CU. Seems their old machine cant take all that coin (2000) per week, especially since I don't do anything with the account but put in coin and withdraw cash. I am waiting to hear WHETHER I will be allowed to bring coin in and how much IIIIFFFF I begin to do some debiting with my card in order to bring them some profit.
Not optimistic on this one.

So I am just about out of dump banks. And my buy banks keep turning sour on me.

I want to do more for my buy banks; keep them from turning sour on me, but I don't want to end up without any dump banks.

SOOOOO.....

Here's my question, and thanks for staying with me so far...

It seems to me a question of motivation.

It is now clear to me that banks make money off of you if you use your debit card frequently. And that makes them happy.
It doesn't matter much whether you buy a cup of coffee or a house with the card, they make about the same for each swipe.

So, of course, I can make everybody a lot happier by putting money in the accounts and swiping like crazy. I already know that.

But....should I or can I get additional accounts at each BRANCH in order to help a particular branch....or does my debiting help each branch the same.

I would like to hear what you think about this, and any possible solutions. Today I am on the phone shopping for DUMP BANKS.

Why doesn't anybody want to be my slave for free?

Upvote 0

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
use the debit card once a month to buy lunch, banks are in business to make money.

get the plastic coin vault bags in advance from the bank, their cash vault is going to recount everything anyways. Just put the coins in the bag with your name, acct#, etc. Find all the information they would normally write on it and do it for them in advance, my tellers love me for doing that. I literally pass my bags through the 2 way door window and get my cash and im out of their in less than 5 minutes.

If they dont want to give you coin vault bags for some reason try to find banks that will and let their industrial sized machines do the count at the coin vault.

Of course always be nice and curtious, small chit chat helps with the tellers, how's the weekend, etc that kind of stuff. get them a $10 box of Godiva chocolates or a nicer brand every so often and they'll be more willing to roll with the headaches we cause them from time to time.

HH,
Bigheed

OP
OP
Piledriver

Piledriver

May 21, 2011
Thanks, BH, I will try this.
I've already lined up another Dump bank, and plan to get with the debiting.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Dump hard and often on a dump bank. Make it hurt. Then approach them (Head Teller/Bank Manager) with the proposition that you would like them to supply you with whatever coin you would like when you like and in return, you'll never bring in another coin for deposit to them. They will jump at the idea.

I've done this exact scenario a couple of years ago. They now call me out of the blue asking me if I'd like more coin. When I pick up, they wheel it out to my car. I walk in and don't have to wait in line. Just hand my roll to the teller and go and hold the door open for them to wheel out the coin. My other dump banks may not like me, but I don't care. My account balances have earned me the clout I need to smile and not give a darn.

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thats also true diver. my main dump is BOA and we keep a decent level checking acct there + our mortgage, an open line of credit, 2 direct deposits per month, and tons of transactions to various merchants. So for them to give us any grief would not be doing themselves any favor :-) You only really need 1 dump bank as long as you have a good transactional record and are polite.

Id say the supply banks is where being transactional matters the least.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some banks (or more accurately some bank employees at particular branches) you just cannot make happy. Regardless of the amount of money you have deposited, regardless of how many transactions you make on your account, they just will not be very cooperative to your CRHing activities. Take one bank I deal with. At one branch of this bank, I have dumped there every week without fail for well over a year now. They have a coin machine, but its behind the counter and the teller must carry the coins to the back room and dump them through the machine personally. They always greet me with a smile, and I have never had a problem whatsoever. No complaints, no sighs or rolling of the eyes by the teller...nothing. They have told me on more than one occasion that I can bring in as many coins as I want, as often as I want, and it will be no problem. For the first several months I dealt with them, I only had a small account there that was for all practical purposes inactive. Since they were so good to me, I moved all of my main accounts there as well as talking some friends and family members into banking with them. I personally have gotten that bank well over "6 figures" in deposits because of their good service to me. At another branch of that same bank across town, the head teller will not sell me 1 single roll of coins. She will just rudely tell me, "Those are for customers" even though I am a customer and have pointed that out. Just the other day I had 5 measly Loomis rolls of new 2011 dimes that I just simply wanted to swap for customer rolls. She wouldn't do it and was nowhere near friendly in telling me she wouldn't do it.

Trial and error is about the only way I know of to find a good bank/branch. Just because one particular branch of a bank won't provide what you're looking for doesn't mean that the one down the road or across town won't as well. If one bank/branch won't provide what you're looking for, then try a different one. Keep repeating until you find one or more that will. Then give the bank(s) as much business as you can. That has worked for me.

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
Ordering boxes costs the bank money, so it makes sense that they don't want to buy you a bunch of boxes, I'd go to a different branch and order some boxes there for a bit then order some more boxes from your main branch.

Most banks aren't too happy with people who don't provide them any benefit except use coin counters, especially if you dump a lot of coin. And yes, for most smaller banks without industrial strength coin counters more than $1000 is -a lot- in coin. Even coin heavy (small) businesses such as car washes and laundromats rarely exceed $1,000 in a week in coin. So open up a loan, and use their accounts, otherwise don't be shocked when the waiters stop bringing the free chips after you've sat there for 3 hours eating them and the free refills.

Keep in mind that branches and banks aren't created equal, some of them simply don't have the facilities to handle a lot of coin, others on the other hand easily can deal with tens of thousands of dollars in coin. Find the right buy/dump bank is very important because a lot of banks simply aren't set up to deal with a lot of coin. But once you find the right bank, and if you treat them right, it is generally smooth sailing ahead.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread