Holy moly I found a SEATED DIME!!!

tank014

Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Ace 250, Garret 1250
I'm still shaking and in disbelief. I never thought I would find one of these. It actually was never a dream of mine or a goal because I just never thought it would happen. Shoot until just a few months ago I didn't even have a barber but a seated. Just amazing. After 8 years of crhing now all the sweet stuff is coming my way. This is awesome.
Good luck a happy hunting all,
Frank

Attachments

• IMAG0058.jpg
    IMAG0058.jpg
    531.5 KB · Views: 623
  • IMAG0059.jpg
    IMAG0059.jpg
    389.3 KB · Views: 618
Upvote 0

$ilver$urfer

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello2: Congratulations on a HUGE milestone!!! :thumbsup:

HH,

$ilver$urfer :hello:

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
Can't get much better than a Seated :icon_thumright:

CHAINCHOMP

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2010
Colorado Springs CO.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QS
awesome find!!!!! HUGE congrats! is there any story as to exactly how you acquired it? keep it up and hh! [R.I.P. Rich Hartford]

kestrelia

May 9, 2007
That's awesome! Any chance you can weigh it? I wonder how much of it's original weight it still has.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Congratulations on a historic find. Anyway to get some better pictures? Perhaps a scan? I think I see an "S" between the bow on the reverse. The mint made them in Philly and San Fran that year with Philly cranking out about 5 mil and San Fran cranking out about 1.5 mil. (Exact mintages I didn't bother looking up).

OP
OP
T

tank014

Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
CHAINCHOMP said:
awesome find!!!!! HUGE congrats! is there any story as to exactly how you acquired it? keep it up and hh! [R.I.P. Rich Hartford]

The story behind the find. I picked up my dime order from a bank that uses a different courier service than any other banks around my area. When dimes are bad at my other banks I can always count on this bank. The halves at this bank suck though because there machine doesn't accept them. Anyways, I did the first of 2 boxes and pulled out a 64 rosie. The next box I got threw about 8 rolls and that's when the SEATED came. I opened the roll and I saw the thin white dime right away with the crack that you see in the picture pointed right at me about 4 coins from the top of the roll. When I saw it I thought sweet maybe another barber but when I lifted the other coins off it and saw the lady sitting I put the coins back on her and said omg. What was great is that my fiancee came down the stairs right as I found it so she got to see what it looked like in the roll. I spent the next 5 minutes with a huge smile on my face and still muttering oh my god I can't believe it. After I calmed down I realized there was anther silver in the same roll a 64 rosie. All in all that box produced 12 silver dimes. 1 seated and 11 rosies. I would call that my second dream dime box.
Gl and hh all,
Frank

OP
OP
T

tank014

Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Diver_Down said:
Congratulations on a historic find. Anyway to get some better pictures? Perhaps a scan? I think I see an "S" between the bow on the reverse. The mint made them in Philly and San Fran that year with Philly cranking out about 5 mil and San Fran cranking out about 1.5 mil. (Exact mintages I didn't bother looking up).

I can do my best to get a better picture later tonight. I believe the date is 1886 but I also think it could be 1888. Any opinions from the picture. When I look at the coins in the light it seems like a 6.
Gl and hh
Thanks,
Frank

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
tank014 said:
Diver_Down said:

I can do my best to get a better picture later tonight. I believe the date is 1886 but I also think it could be 1888. Any opinions from the picture. When I look at the coins in the light it seems like a 6.
Gl and hh
Thanks,
Frank

Frank, I think you are right. At first glance, I just ran with the 1888. The more I look at the obverse, it looks like an 1886. If that is the case and there is an "S" below the bow, then you have found a serious coin. The 1886 S only had about 200k minted versus the Philly 1886 which cranked out more than 6 mil. In Good condition, it is a $30 coin. Yours would be About Good. Sweet find at face.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread