Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Dok Holliday

May 2, 2011
Eastern Iowa
Primary Interest:
Other
I argue that the information on the skunk boxes lets us all know how things are going as a whole. I say everyone reports everything they want, both good and bad, so that I can have all the information available to me to make my own informed decisions. If I wanted coin news skewed, I'd ask MSNBC or Fox News to start a CRH forum.

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
don't forget CNN skew central / sensationalism!! ;D

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Despite the unwelcome news of skunks, they do serve a purpose. It lets those that are on the fence know that it isn't easy, but takes persistence and hard work to pursue this hobby. In the past, persons posted their finds but rarely posted their skunks. I believe this past behavior invited some new competition when it looked like it was guaranteed silver every week. I would counter that instead of posting the fact that a hunter was skunked but to also include a photo of the dumps. Let those that are contemplating the hobby realize what a 1000(x) coins look like for every skunk box that is encountered. Seeing such a heap and the consequential effort in disposing of the coins is much more appropriate.

TheRockDoc

May 28, 2011
I agree with the above mentioned. I think it is important to post about skunks, and finds just the same. I think it is healthy for people to be able to get a realistic perspective about this hobby... I would also like to read more about how some of you "players" dump some of the astronomical #'s you are searching. Like 30 boxes for instance, sounds crazy to me, but dumping them seems like a crazy amount of work...

Dok Holliday

May 2, 2011
Eastern Iowa
Primary Interest:
Other
TheRockDoc said:
I would also like to read more about how some of you "players" dump some of the astronomical #'s you are searching. Like 30 boxes for instance, sounds crazy to me, but dumping them seems like a crazy amount of work...

Agreed. I feel guilty enough making the tellers heft a bag of $500 in dimes to the counter, and changing the bags on bigger dumps. How are you guys dumping $5000 in skunky halves a week?

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Freedom,
I hope you are enjoying your summer vacation away from the school house! I know I am with every Friday off!

June, was indeed, my worst month for CRHing. Did loads of boxes, but they were mostly "el skunko." Hopefully, things will pick up and I can post a nice haul in the near future!

HSH,
apush :read2:

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Diver_Down said:
Despite the unwelcome news of skunks, they do serve a purpose. It lets those that are on the fence know that it isn't easy, but takes persistence and hard work to pursue this hobby. In the past, persons posted their finds but rarely posted their skunks. I believe this past behavior invited some new competition when it looked like it was guaranteed silver every week. I would counter that instead of posting the fact that a hunter was skunked but to also include a photo of the dumps. Let those that are contemplating the hobby realize what a 1000(x) coins look like for every skunk box that is encountered. Seeing such a heap and the consequential effort in disposing of the coins is much more appropriate.

+1 :icon_thumright:

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I should also add that I get a reality check when I see that other people get skunks too.

To be honest, sometimes I don't check in here because it is depressing...I get box after box of marked skunks...and then see everyone's scores of big silver, day in and day out...

I am happy for them...I really am. But the reality of getting lots and lots and lots of skunk boxes for me is a true to life happening. It is good to know that I am not alone, and gives me hope to keep searching.

SeaninNH

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2010
New Hampshire USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's why I started to post my running totals. So you can see how much work is involved in getting "that big score".

Look at my totals. You'll see that I have a LOT of skunks and few decent scores.

If any new CRHer thinks they will start buying coins and get score after score they need to look at my totals and get a reality check.

There is LOTS AND LOTS of leg work involved.

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
Hi

It has been a while since I have posted.

My name is Mojo and I was guilty of posting mostly the good and not so much of the bad in the good ole days.
It is hard to not want to brag about your finds but it does seem deceiving when all your post are about what you scored.
I did try to clean up my posting by simply reporting my monthly total's with a picture. (we like pic's) but I would also summarize my good fortune by reporting the total amount searched to acquire those totals.
So I believe reporting the good with the bad is vital for the purpose of unbiased reporting but daily volume or box by box details are a little too much.
I do like seeing post (with photo's) of rare or unusual finds. Or somewhat less rare but harder to come by. For instance a 1955 Franklin posted today, as most of the veterans around here can attest to, should fall into the category of a "noteworthy" find. It's not rare but somewhat of a key date.

Hope this helps...... Just saying :)

Mojo

OP
OP
FreedomUIC

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
coinmojo said:
Hi

It has been a while since I have posted.

My name is Mojo and I was guilty of posting mostly the good and not so much of the bad in the good ole days.
It is hard to not want to brag about your finds but it does seem deceiving when all your post are about what you scored.
I did try to clean up my posting by simply reporting my monthly total's with a picture. (we like pic's) but I would also summarize my good fortune by reporting the total amount searched to acquire those totals.
So I believe reporting the good with the bad is vital for the purpose of unbiased reporting but daily volume or box by box details are a little too much.
I do like seeing post (with photo's) of rare or unusual finds. Or somewhat less rare but harder to come by. For instance a 1955 Franklin posted today, as most of the veterans around here can attest to, should fall into the category of a "noteworthy" find. It's not rare but somewhat of a key date.

Hope this helps...... Just saying :)

Mojo

Maybe I should have PM'd you and had you post it for me. That is what I was trying to say, just didn't come out that way.
Monthly totals are great, Road Trips are awesome, fair/good/great/oustanding finds are awesome - Pic's required though :laughing7:. A monthly summary is all that is warranted to determine skunks versus finds. Over half of the posts
on the front page are usually skunk related in some sort. Just gets old after awhile.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread