got my weekly 2 boxes and ticked off...

d2arcing

Bronze Member
Jun 22, 2009
so other week a teller questioned me if i find much, i said not really, well she said her family member wants to try it so she is ordering him a box...

2 weeks later i go to get my 2 boxes of halves 2 boxes of dimes... first they tell me they sold a roll... next teller has 7 bucks in loose halves. so i get 997 in halves... the 2 boxes were behind counter, opened and rerolled... i was so fuming i didnt know what to say or do... i was thinking do i bother taking them? maybe person doesnt know about 40% halves...

well i took them and both were skunks, i noticed 2 rolls short a half... i am going to do the dirty work... and dump them and get a receipt and if i go in next week to get my 2 boxes and it is the same bs i am saying i want unopened boxes, if it truly is the other teller doing what i think she is doing i am going to go ape shit and try to get her fired lol... i want my shortage paid...

recap of week:
at work an old man i accused him of stealing and doing illegal stuff, he called me an f*ing moron and wanted to fight me outside...
at bank i saw the brinks trunk, had texas license plate, i thought i can question where does the coins come from, instead he took his hand gun out of the holster and pointed it at me...

Upvote 0

azlegends

Jul 13, 2011
Wow, so im guessing you had a rough week? Lol. Although he was rash and probably over excessive, but the brinks guy was within his rights. I don't blame you for being po'd with the teller. That's extremely rude after you pretty much introduced her.

OP
OP
D

d2arcing

Bronze Member
Jun 22, 2009
brendan1414 said:
Is it even legal to point a gun at someone?

well he didnt exactly point it at me, but he held it at an angle which he could one more sec move it to be aiming at me...

azlegends said:
Wow, so im guessing you had a rough week? Lol. Although he was rash and probably over excessive, but the brinks guy was within his rights. I don't blame you for being po'd with the teller. That's extremely rude after you pretty much introduced her.

yea i was heating over the guy calling me a moron... i wanted to go outside and smack him up... guy was scamming like crazy and smelled so bad...

i don't blame the teller... but at least a buck short! and how about you take it to a different bank... so i wasted gas and a shortage... i will be heard... the bank sucked anyways. 0-3 silvers per 2 boxes i would find... so i will make a scene and be done with this branch

favored papa

Oct 6, 2009
mountain home Idaho
Detector(s) used
ace 250 dfx
If you were not a legit threat, to the Brinks guy, he did what is called brandishing in this state it can get you arrested. If someone did that to me (for asking a question) I would call the cops on them. Brinks guards have no more rights than you or I.

Yougot

Feb 25, 2011
You had to be doing something stupid or dealing with a new guy to have a gun brandished on you like that.

If it makes you feel any better, after reading your post I became a lot less depressed about my week.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
d2arcing said:
so other week a teller questioned me if i find much, i said not really, well she said her family member wants to try it so she is ordering him a box...

2 weeks later i go to get my 2 boxes of halves 2 boxes of dimes... first they tell me they sold a roll... next teller has 7 bucks in loose halves. so i get 997 in halves... the 2 boxes were behind counter, opened and rerolled... i was so fuming i didnt know what to say or do... i was thinking do i bother taking them? maybe person doesnt know about 40% halves...

well i took them and both were skunks, i noticed 2 rolls short a half... i am going to do the dirty work... and dump them and get a receipt and if i go in next week to get my 2 boxes and it is the same bs i am saying i want unopened boxes, if it truly is the other teller doing what i think she is doing i am going to go ape --deleted-- and try to get her fired lol... i want my shortage paid...

recap of week:
at work an old man i accused him of stealing and doing illegal stuff, he called me an f*ing moron and wanted to fight me outside...
at bank i saw the brinks trunk, had texas license plate, i thought i can question where does the coins come from, instead he took his hand gun out of the holster and pointed it at me...

First off, you probably should have known better than to approach an armored car at a bank. You have no business approaching them, and the guard has to assume that you're potentially up to no good. I don't know the legality of him pulling his weapon, but I would hope he's legally able to pull it before he's attacked or worse.

The bank is not obligated to order you coins in the first place, let alone unopened boxes. Boxes are not always accurate. My 4 boxes of halves this week was short 4 coins that I noticed - might have been worse. Nothing you can do about it unless you open every roll in front of the teller at the bank before leaving. Its just part of the costs associated with this hobby.

With that said, you have every right to refuse the opened boxes IMO. I too would cancel my standing order if they could not provide me with unopened boxes, but I don't believe I would cause a fuss over it and try to get someone fired. I believe I'd just switch to a different bank...but thats just me.

OP
OP
D

d2arcing

Bronze Member
Jun 22, 2009
ArkieBassMan said:
d2arcing said:

well i took them and both were skunks, i noticed 2 rolls short a half... i am going to do the dirty work... and dump them and get a receipt and if i go in next week to get my 2 boxes and it is the same bs i am saying i want unopened boxes, if it truly is the other teller doing what i think she is doing i am going to go ape --deleted-- and try to get her fired lol... i want my shortage paid...

recap of week:

First off, you probably should have known better than to approach an armored car at a bank. You have no business approaching them, and the guard has to assume that you're potentially up to no good. I don't know the legality of him pulling his weapon, but I would hope he's legally able to pull it before he's attacked or worse.

The bank is not obligated to order you coins in the first place, let alone unopened boxes. Boxes are not always accurate. My 4 boxes of halves this week was short 4 coins that I noticed - might have been worse. Nothing you can do about it unless you open every roll in front of the teller at the bank before leaving. Its just part of the costs associated with this hobby.

With that said, you have every right to refuse the opened boxes IMO. I too would cancel my standing order if they could not provide me with unopened boxes, but I don't believe I would cause a fuss over it and try to get someone fired. I believe I'd just switch to a different bank...but thats just me.

I understand if it was sealed and short, but i feel this is a different ball game, if these boxes were from the teller and bought them for her family member to search and then brought them back to the bank to pawn them off to me... knowing i search... that is plain stupid... then to be short... that i feel like is getting a fake bill from the bank... a teller shouldnt have the power to pull silver and then dump them for box value without replacing the silver ones!

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
d2arcing said:
I understand if it was sealed and short, but i feel this is a different ball game, if these boxes were from the teller and bought them for her family member to search and then brought them back to the bank to pawn them off to me... knowing i search... that is plain stupid... then to be short... that i feel like is getting a fake bill from the bank... a teller shouldnt have the power to pull silver and then dump them for box value without replacing the silver ones!

I agree 100%, but I think you missed my points.

- The searcher may not have intentionally shorted any rolls, and very possibly replaced any and all silver found/coins kept, as the boxes were likely short to begin with. I find more boxes that are short at least 1 coin than those that aren't. Regardless of who/why/how it was done, once you plop your money down and walk away, they're yours. It doesn't matter if the rolls are over, short, or whatever, the bank is under no obligation to "make it right" as you cannot prove you were shorted.

- Again, banks do not owe you, me, or anyone else boxes of unsearched coins. You ordered half dollars and were given half dollars. However, you should definitely speak to the head teller/vault teller/branch manager about this. Tell him/her the situation and ask if you can get unsearched boxes. If not, thank them for their time and for ordering for you in the past. Then immediately close your account(s) and move on to the next bank.

- Additionally, the bank's hands may be tied if they have the coins on hand that you ordered - especially if its non-circulating coins like halves. It happened to me once. Someone turned in $1000 worth of clad (halves) at a bank where I have a weekly standing 2 box order. Instead of ordering my 2 boxes, I was given the dumps. The branch manager told me that she cannot justify the expense of ordering me "fresh" boxes of halves to her bosses when they have the coin on hand to fulfill my order.

Just my thought and ramblings on the subject. Hope it works out for you!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread