Kill them with kindness

JJTheisen

Apr 19, 2009
USAF
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250
Lessons from a good mentor,

One of the main guys who helped me get involved in CRHing, also mentored me to an extent. First of all, he knows who he is, so there is no need for name mentioning(Jim :headbang:). One thing that I have found to be true no matter what bank I walk into, regardless of if they wind up having halves or not, is that kindness always leads to a better result. While it may seem at times that the tellers at banks just don't care to go out of their way to help you, they are more likely to help someone with a smile on their face.

This rule always applies, because you never know when you are going to return to that bank again and ask the same question. If they remember you as the guy that was nice, they will always be more prone to want to assist you in whatever way they can. I have seen a few posts of members getting frustrated at banks for one reason or another, and we have all had some pretty crappy bank experiences, but it is always a good rule of thumb in this hobby to never burn any bridges, especially when those bridges are limited in your area.

To take this one last step further, when you do have a bank that treats you well, and is always very kind in taking care of you, be sure to return the favor. One of the best ways to do this is by dropping off a couple of boxes of donuts to the bank every month or so, or a few bags of candy. Make sure they are left with the head teller, because in most cases, this person can make stuff happen or not happen.

Point and Case: I worked at a bank for a year and a half before coming into the Air Force. We had a customer who brought us donuts at least once a month. I would have bent over backwards to get anything accomplished for this guy.

Yesterday I walked into a bank I do not currently have an account at. I spoke with a teller and was as nice as possible in my conversation with her ( AKA I asked how her day was going before jumping right into the question). By the end of our talk, she told me that they had $200.00 in halves, but that the vault stays locked on the weekends. To ensure that I got those halves on Monday, she gave me her personal work number with her name, and the name of the teller next to her ( who heard our entire conversation). She also said that if I could not make it in on Monday, to just call her or the other teller, and they would be glad to hold them for me.

Thanks for the wisdom and life lesson Jim,
JJ

Upvote 0

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
that lesson works for more than just CRH ing -- the old saying is --you catch more flies with honey than vinegar. :wink: :icon_thumright:

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Excellent post!!!!!

The more I think about it, this post should be made a sticky.

I think, as a population, we need to remember that being nice should apply all the time, and in every situation.

I meet people that feel the need to talk condescendingly to people in retail situations, as if they were sub-human trash. People we meet in this world have lives and families, just like I do. I just don't get it...is your McFlurry really that important? Would you still be talking to that person that way if you knew they were your neighbor's niece? How would you treat them if you knew that sometime they would be your kid's teacher someday, or your mechanic?

Yagershots

Jun 2, 2011
North East
I think this is a great post too. I am always nice at the banks I stop at. It has worked in my favor more than once. Even when a cherry picking teller won't give me the AG I still try to turn on the charm on in a nice way. I never get hot headed.

buckanear

Oct 27, 2009
Could not agree more.I always smile and try to throw in some levity.Have been treated very well.Say please and thank you a lot.You will encounter some crabs.I can easily avoid them.In fact crabs have led me to explore better places to do business.HH

Numismaniac

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2010
JJ,

Great post! I have always had good luck establishing long term relationships with the tellers who work at the bank. I am really interested in them and their lives, and they know it. It also makes the hobby more fun!

In fact, one time I was at one of my regular bank chatting with my favorite teller when another CRH who came in and asked about halves and big dollars. He wasn't rude, but wasn't that friendly either. They said "no, we don't have any of them" to the CRH and sent him on his way. My teller winked at me and said "of course, we save them all for you!"

BTW: I'm in the Air Force too. Just went over 27 years... Other then my two deployments (not much CRH in Afghanistan), it's been a great job to CRH in with all the travel for work and assignments to different parts of the county.

Of all the places I've lived, Norther VA was by far best for CRH.

Great post, and I concur 100%

HSH

OP
OP
JJTheisen

JJTheisen

Apr 19, 2009
USAF
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250
Numismaniac said:
JJ,

Great post! I have always had good luck establishing long term relationships with the tellers who work at the bank. I am really interested in them and their lives, and they know it. It also makes the hobby more fun!

In fact, one time I was at one of my regular bank chatting with my favorite teller when another CRH who came in and asked about halves and big dollars. He wasn't rude, but wasn't that friendly either. They said "no, we don't have any of them" to the CRH and sent him on his way. My teller winked at me and said "of course, we save them all for you!"

BTW: I'm in the Air Force too. Just went over 27 years... Other then my two deployments (not much CRH in Afghanistan), it's been a great job to CRH in with all the travel for work and assignments to different parts of the county.

Of all the places I've lived, Norther VA was by far best for CRH.

Great post, and I concur 100%

HSH

I just so happen to work in the finance office, so when it comes time to retire, shoot me a message and I can get you my work email address for any questions you might run into. My friend works the retirements/separations department at my base, and I will be glad to assist however I can when the time comes for you to retire.

HH,
JJ

Piledriver

May 21, 2011
So right.

It's smart to be nice.

If you get what you want, you will be glad you were polite.

If you don't get what you want, you cant get your way or punish the bank with rudeness.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread