Canadian coins?

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, Canadians still use coins (I assume you were just kidding) but I don't think all roll hunters in this forum keep the Canadian coins they find, and while some do (myself included) most just make note of them. But I could be mistaken.

A new development has made collecting Canadian coins a good idea. Since 2003 the Royal Canadian Mint has quietly been gathering all pre-2001 coinage (thru a partnership with Coinstar in Canada) and melting them to sell for their metal content, which has netted the RCM millions in revenue. The result may be rarities among modern Canadian coinage.

OP
OP
Postalrevnant

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains
Ahh thank you very much Immy. Yep I was kidding about the Canadian not using coins, but I certainly had no idea why everyone was posting their Canadian finds. I did however hear a rumor a few years back that they were making changes with their coins. Your post helps explain the changes and gives me a clue that I need to do some google research now on it and get educated on what I am looking for.

THanks much again,

Postalrevnant

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I find foreign coins while roll hunting, I keep them, except for the Canadian coins, because they're so common. With those, I only keep pre-1960.

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We save them and chuck them across the border while screaming "keep your coins in your own country!"

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Canada has been changing the faces of their coins for years. A good way to get collectors to buy them. Now who do we know who is making face changes to their coinage to get people to collect them? Us, yes, Us as in the USA.

Ed Donovan

HobBob

Feb 18, 2006
SW Oakland County, MI
Since my main thing is pennies right now, and since I live very close to Canada (Detroit area), I have been keeping all the Canadian pennies I find. And I have been finding a lot of them. As per an earlier post by Immy, pre-1997's are mostly copper in content.
And despite the Canadian mint culling out their older coins, it seems that vast majority of Canadian pennies I come across are 1996 or earlier. So I have quite a collection of older Canadian pennies!
Although copper (and most other metals) have declined in value recently, I have no doubt that they will again rise in value.
As to the newer coins - I'll spend them next time we go to Windsor (across the Detoit River from Detroit) or Sarnia (across from Port Huron, MI).
HH,
Bob

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread