A dream come true...well almost

tmjones550

Aug 16, 2011
I dream of going to one of my banks and the teller says we've been waiting on you to come in.An old customer of ours brought in a bunch of rolls of halves thats her husband collected years ago.I say I will take them all.I get home and roll after roll they are walkers and franklins.After alls said and sone I walk away with 10,000 in silver content.One day oh yes one day its going to happen.I can't wait.
Let me tell what happened to me the other day and thought it was a dream too good to be true.I walked into one of my banks and one of the tellers told me they had been holding $230.00 in halves for me that a guy had brought in from an estate.His grandfather had passed away and wanted to cash them in so he could pay for funeral expenses.I told the teller I will take them all.I was in a cold sweat.It took that teller forever to count them out and hand them over.I look in the box they gave me and they were in old brown rolls.I couldn't wait to get to the car and count them.I sat in the parking lot shaking and started on the first one....skunks second one....skunk.I went through every one of them....skunk.I was devistated.My only guess is this guy came up with this lame story to dump them or they were from an estate and he went through them and picked all the silver out.But to look on the bright side estate money does make it to the banks still.One day I will get lucky.

Upvote 0

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Not all "estates" consist of valuable coins. I deal closely with an auction house with regards to estimating collections and getting first choice at buying the coins outright before they are to be auctioned off. I've seen so many people who have hoarded clad as if they were cornering the market. Pristine bicentennials both halves and quarters, roll upon roll of trash. Destroyed wheat cent collections where the coins have been cleaned, etc. Overall, there is a ton of trash that has to be sorted to find the treasure.

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
Diver_Down said:
Not all "estates" consist of valuable coins. I deal closely with an auction house with regards to estimating collections and getting first choice at buying the coins outright before they are to be auctioned off. I've seen so many people who have hoarded clad as if they were cornering the market. Pristine bicentennials both halves and quarters, roll upon roll of trash. Destroyed wheat cent collections where the coins have been cleaned, etc. Overall, there is a ton of trash that has to be sorted to find the treasure.

Yep, sadly a lot of people don't know what is and isn't worth keeping/collecting. For example I remember my great-grandmother used to give all of her grandchildren and great-grandchildren Susan B. Anthony dollars, I kept mine of course for sentimental value, but they will only be worth $1.

I know people who set aside state quarters (in circulated condition) to have a full set to give to their children/grandchildren and also people who have bought infomercial coins to keep as investments.

It's really sad. I mean, for a lot of them it isn't the price that matters, they would easily pay $30 for an infomercial gold plated coin, but instead could have done much better by simply buying a common date Peace or Morgan.

There are so many new collectors who have gotten burned with coins promised to have value, but when they go to sell them 5 or 10 years later the coin shop owner just laughs and offers them a few cents for them.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I had a similar experience with a young teller who joyfully sold me $370 in halves. All were in OLD brown wrappers and had "old man" style writing on them.

I just about wet myself when I first saw them laid out on the counter, but they all turned out to be skunks!!!!

MentalUnrest

Nov 14, 2010
My guess is it was another CRH'r playing a joke. What better way to discourage the competition than adding a story like that when you dumped your coins? In fact, I have read posts here where some members did exactly what you described.

MU

OmegaMan

Dec 9, 2007
clovis97 said:
I had a similar experience with a young teller who joyfully sold me $370 in halves. All were in OLD brown wrappers and had "old man" style writing on them.

I just about wet myself when I first saw them laid out on the counter, but they all turned out to be skunks!!!!
OK, I got to ask. What is old man writing?

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Generic_Lad said:
Diver_Down said:

Yep, sadly a lot of people don't know what is and isn't worth keeping/collecting. For example I remember my great-grandmother used to give all of her grandchildren and great-grandchildren Susan B. Anthony dollars, I kept mine of course for sentimental value, but they will only be worth $1.

I know people who set aside state quarters (in circulated condition) to have a full set to give to their children/grandchildren and also people who have bought infomercial coins to keep as investments.

It's really sad. I mean, for a lot of them it isn't the price that matters, they would easily pay $30 for an infomercial gold plated coin, but instead could have done much better by simply buying a common date Peace or Morgan.

There are so many new collectors who have gotten burned with coins promised to have value, but when they go to sell them 5 or 10 years later the coin shop owner just laughs and offers them a few cents for them.

I collected the state quarters, all BU, of course I put them in a Dansco Book, Got all the Proofs to go along with them and oh yea another thing, All the Silver State quarters as well...... :laughing7:

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
FreedomUIC said:
Generic_Lad said:
Diver_Down said:

I collected the state quarters, all BU, of course I put them in a Dansco Book, Got all the Proofs to go along with them and oh yea another thing, All the Silver State quarters as well...... :laughing7:

Freedom - I'm not sure why you are laughing. There is nothing wrong with completing a State Qtr collection such as you described. If you enjoyed the process and enjoy the finished set, then that is what coin collecting is about. Keep in mind, coin collecting and coin investing are not necessarily the same thing.

K

Jul 17, 2011
MI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diver_Down said:
FreedomUIC said:
Generic_Lad said:
Diver_Down said:

Freedom - I'm not sure why you are laughing. There is nothing wrong with completing a State Qtr collection such as you described. If you enjoyed the process and enjoy the finished set, then that is what coin collecting is about. Keep in mind, coin collecting and coin investing are not necessarily the same thing.

All the SilverState quarters as well...... THERE ARE NO SILVER STATE QUARTERS!

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
K said:
Diver_Down said:
FreedomUIC said:
Generic_Lad said:
Diver_Down said:

http://www.mintproducts.com/2007-5-coin-state-quarter-silver_proof-set.html

^Yes there are.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
K said:
Diver_Down said:
FreedomUIC said:
Generic_Lad said:
Diver_Down said:

Thanks for informing me, I guess I'll dump my 90% silver state quarter proofs at the bank. No sense in cluttering up the vault.

K

Jul 17, 2011
MI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought he meant he found them in circ., in which it would take a VERY long time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread