what kind of coins do you keep?

RatRacer

May 23, 2006
Trafford, PA
Pretty much the same. I asked myself the other day "Hey, stupid, what are you saving those Canadian pennies for? They aren't even worth a PENNY!"
I didn't answer.

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains
I am fairly new at this. So far have only found silver. Perhaps I missed an error coin not really sure. But I do try to look and see if I can see an error.

As far as keeping, I guess it would be silver, gold, or error. Don't really care that much about foreign, got enough of it traveling around with Uncle Sam's Army green tour for 13 years.

Postalrevnant

goldinmypan

Apr 18, 2006
Ventura, CA
Detector(s) used
LST
I do mostly halves and keep: Silver, S mint, errors(blank planchets, damaged planchets, die cracks,etc), double dies, key dates(70, 87, and 2002+), fakes, electro plates, any coin that may grade extra high and what ever may strike my fancy. I think I remember someone out there savint holed coins.

bobr

May 17, 2006
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I keep silver, wheats, and any coin I need for my collection. I read some of you keep S mint mark coins. Is there a special reason for that? Also, I spent eight years in the Army a while ago and have some silver coins I collected overseas.

goldinmypan

Apr 18, 2006
Ventura, CA
Detector(s) used
LST
With the JFK halves the San Francisco mint produced all of the proof coins. These were minted with highly mirrored planchets and cameo like heads. These are beautiful coins. Even though any found in rolls will be distressed to some degree, I still feel they are worth keeping. Alxo they were minted in much fewer numbers the than business strikes(ie. in 1980 S=3.5 mil. D=33.5 mil, P=44 mil). Also being sold as proofs very few wind up in rolls.

Attachments

• S mint.jpg
    S mint.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 237

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For me the question may as well be "What don't you save?" In addition to the already-mentioned "keepers" I save strange stuff like coins with holes, coins with extra lettering or designs punched onto them, all Canadian and foreign and in general anything odd-looking or out of the ordinary. Funny that a good portion of what I save has no worth beyond face value, they're just fun to collect!

Pennyworth

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2006
Yep I like to collect any coin that is a little different,odd or unique along with all of the ones already mentioned.

I have collected about a dozen elongated pennies about a year ago and I've deceided to continue and look for more machines to make them. I love all of the different designs and they are a nice souvenir to remember where or what you visited. Btw, if anyone has an elongated pennies they want to sell or possibly trade please send me a message. I live in Ohio around the Cleveland area and can get make elongated pennies in this area.

Check out this website www.pennycollector.com

It's my second favorite website, I think you know my first choice. ;D ;)

MalteseFalcon

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2005
LOL @ Rat Racer.
;D

I have decided that my involvement in collecting coins will be as follows:

For now, Kennedy Half dollars are my focus.

Accumulate the 40% halves and sell them on ebay in rolls.

Accumulate the 90% Kennedy halves and I dunno if I will sell them or not.
The 1968-S proof I found yesterday will not be going anywhere anytime soon.

Any Bens or Walkers I will hang onto. Certainly the further back towards the beginning of the 20th Century, the more likely I am to hang onto them. The only exception would be some kind of key date. For example, in the dime world, the Holy Grail is the 1916D Mercury.If I got something like that I could sell for several thousand clams, I would sell it immediately.
I mean, this could change in the future, but for right now, several grand would help my bottom line out pretty nicely.
:)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread