Mint Rolls of NIFC Halves

trancealot

Tenderfoot
Sep 22, 2011
While at the bank today to do an actual bank transaction (not just to CRH) I asked the teller if she had any halves. She asked how many I wanted so I asked how much she had. She says about $400 and said some guy brings them in. So of course thinking they're someone's dumps, I decide to ask for only $50. So she pulls out 5 rolls and they're all in the original US mint wrappers. I ended up with 3 rolls of 2005, 1 roll 2003 and 1 roll 2002.

The end halves are gold colored...does that mean they're toned because they've been sitting around so long? I opened one up and the halves inside are all nice shiny silver clad. My first time seeing these, so does that mean these are all mint un-circulated condition? Are they worth keeping and should I get the other $350 from the bank? It looks like some people do buy these ebay.

Upvote 0

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
The enders are indeed toning due to the exposure to atmospheric elements. They are sacrificial for the others. What do you have to lose? If it doesn't tie up your funds, then I would. You might be fortunate to seize upon a date run of NIFC in which case you can crack the rolls and sells short sets of NIFC halves on eBay.

Goldmanford

Aug 1, 2011
North Carolina
I would go back and ask if any of the other halves (or maybe all of them) were in the same wrapper as before - maybe take the wrapper from the one you opened back so they will know what you are talking about. Heck, for that matter if the guy is dumping unopened NIFC there may be silver in there, too. I would get as many as I could afford knowing you may have to sit on the money for a short period of time.

kennedyfan

Jul 22, 2011
Detector(s) used
Bank Tellers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had sold some of these kinds of rolls, unopened, on eBay for a modest profit. You might be able to do something similar. So it's probably worth going in and getting the whole batch and see how much you can turn it over for.

OP
OP
T

trancealot

Tenderfoot
Sep 22, 2011
Yep thanks, you're right, there's nothing to lose by getting them all. They are pretty nice, being in uncirculated condition, so I will stop by tomorrow and get them all. Who knows, maybe some of the other rolls are CWR and maybe I can finally find some silver. I have yet to find any in about $300-400 I've searched for from teller trays and the rolls I've gotten. All I've ever found is a few NIFC and one 1992 S proof.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
trancealot said:
Yep thanks, you're right, there's nothing to lose by getting them all. They are pretty nice, being in uncirculated condition, so I will stop by tomorrow and get them all. Who knows, maybe some of the other rolls are CWR and maybe I can finally find some silver. I have yet to find any in about $300-400 I've searched for from teller trays and the rolls I've gotten. All I've ever found is a few NIFC and one 1992 S proof.

And now you also know the quality of the mint, uncirculated NIFC versus the NIFC found in the wild. It is the main reason why the NIFC found in the wild will never carry a worthwhile premium.

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
I found my first 2 BU Mint rolled halves from a bank on Wednesday - one 2009P roll & one 2009D roll. These 2 roll sets sell for $34.95 from the mint which is a rather large premium - although I would never pay it. I think I remember seeing APMEX selling a 200-coin bag ($100 fv) of '08's or '09's maybe a year or two ago for a huge premium of $399. The mint sells these 200-coin bags for $134.95. I have considered buying some of these half bags before (from the mint - not APMEX) when I've seen secondary market prices like these but I'd really rather focus more on pm's and not try and play the modern-day numismatic clad coin flipping game.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread