Is this a rare error? *******PICTURES****** -Half dollar

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all, picked up my 2 boxes of halves today, only opened 10 rolls, but onto the story. No silver yet, though i did come across this half dollar, looks to be in AU shape minus all the small scratches in it, beautiful coin.

The coin looks to be worn, as you can tell, but i know it is an error imediately. Any ideas on what type of error it is? the value of a coin like this? My guesses is a grease filled die, but have no clue on the value in this shape. Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated, thanks!!!

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 876
  • IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 906
  • IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 891
Upvote 0

Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Scorpion.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuffaloBoy said:
Hi all, picked up my 2 boxes of halves today, only opened 10 rolls, but onto the story. No silver yet, though i did come across this half dollar, looks to be in AU shape minus all the small scratches in it, beautiful coin.

The coin looks to be worn, as you can tell, but i know it is an error imediately. Any ideas on what type of error it is? the value of a coin like this? My guesses is a grease filled die, but have no clue on the value in this shape. Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated, thanks!!!

I would guess the same grease filled die I think struck thru but maybe wrong. Value, I would put in the $30.00 range. Nice find

Numismaniac

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2010
Nice find Buffalo! It's grease filled die for sure. I have found about 5 or 6 similar to yours in my 10+ yr CRH career. I have sold one on Ebay for about $27 or so. Congrats!

Local_coins

Nov 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a couple of these. I see this with the halves from the 90's. It seems that that decade was a sloppy time for the mints. The halves from that decade are really unappealing. I always thought this was from an over polished die.

OP
OP
BuffaloBoy

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Local_coins said:
I have a couple of these. I see this with the halves from the 90's. It seems that that decade was a sloppy time for the mints. The halves from that decade are really unappealing. I always thought this was from an over polished die.
Good point, but the halves got better in the late 90's. 1983-1993 seem really crappy in my area, real worn down, just nasty.

dossier

Aug 23, 2011
PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Hands
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found one very similar to this and it says IBER. The back was all spotty with grease too. I'll take pics of my errors I've been too lazy to ebay this weekend hopefully.

TheRockDoc

May 28, 2011
Wow, I need to start thinking sell sell sell... not dump dump dump. I have tossed back a handful of these halves in my 6 month CRH'ing career. Nice find, let us know if you sell it and how much you get for it.

P.S. I hadn't found a 74 ddo up until a week ago, and now I have 3! pretty crazy, I also found a 1972 no fg this last week, and i dont mean one where you can barely make out the fg, Im talking, after studying it with my loup, there is no sign of the fg...

OP
OP
BuffaloBoy

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TheRockDoc said:
Wow, I need to start thinking sell sell sell... not dump dump dump. I have tossed back a handful of these halves in my 6 month CRH'ing career. Nice find, let us know if you sell it and how much you get for it.

P.S. I hadn't found a 74 ddo up until a week ago, and now I have 3! pretty crazy, I also found a 1972 no fg this last week, and i dont mean one where you can barely make out the fg, Im talking, after studying it with my loup, there is no sign of the fg...
I always look for 1972-d NO fg, 1974d-- ddo, no luck yet, or I am not looking in the right spot. 1982p or d NO fg, and somebody told me about 1983 NO fg, so I look for that as well. Anyone care to share what they look for?

HH!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread