Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

us
    Mar 2011
    3 times

What is the most common NIFC Half Dollar that you find?

Well, I am starting to pile up NIFC(Not intended for circulation) Half Dollars. Just curious what year and mint that others on here find the most. My most common is the 2003-D(About 120) and it's not even close. Also, is there any place other than Ebay and Craigslist that will buy these?

On the flip side, the least found NIFC(other than 1987, 2010, 2011) is the 2008 P.

Let's hear your most common NIFC.

us
    May 2011
    Southwest Florida
    1 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Re: What is the most common NIFC Half Dollar that you find?

About 80% of the ones I find are 2002 P or D.

May 2006
    CO, AZ
    dfx, Ryedale!
    133 times

My largest was 2007P. But then I dumped most of them. NOw I have a roll of each date and mint mark (Still need some 2010's and of course 2011's) and the rest goes bck into the wild.

us
    Aug 2011
    Silverville
    369 times
    CRHing

wow - 120 '03D's - that's a lot. Did you find them all together?

I don't seem to find as many NIFC's as a lot of other people do but then I don't search near the volume a lot of others do either. I still have found a lot more silver halves than NIFC's. I'd say my 2002 -2009 finds seem to be about fairly equal for each year but I did find nearly a whole roll (19 total I think) of really nice (with real sharp edges) 2008 P & D's in a box last month which was kind of a surprise. And the '08's have a slightly lower mintage than the other clad NIFC's (mintage: 1.7 m). But all the clad non-proof NIFC's have similar mintages - between 1.7-3.8 m - so I would think the odds of finding them in circulation should be fairly equal for each of these years unless you find a large stash of all the same year for some reason.

I've never tried selling them and I'm not sure if you can get much of a premium for them in circulated condition.

Good luck and HH
    2014 results:
    Dollars ($120 searched): 1 silver Ike ('76S)
    Halves ($53,565.50 searched): 48 x 90% (12 Bens, 5 Walkers, 1893 commem), 341 x 40% (2 x '68S, '69S, '76S), 4 x '82P no FG's, 2 mag. coins
    Nickels ($2470 searched): 21 silver, 14 buffalos ('13 T1, '24, '26, '27, '28, '30S, '36, '36S & 6 nd's), '39S, '05P bison error
    Cents: 5 wheat's ('36, '39, '40, 2 x '41 - all free coin counter finds)

"Paper is poverty. It is only the ghost of money, and not money itself " - Thomas Jefferson

us
    Mar 2011
    3 times

Quote Originally Posted by SilverFace
    wow - 120 '03D's - that's a lot. Did you find them all together?

I don't seem to find as many NIFC's as a lot of other people do but then I don't search near the volume a lot of others do either. I still have found a lot more silver halves than NIFC's. I'd say my 2002 -2009 finds seem to be about fairly equal for each year but I did find nearly a whole roll (19 total I think) of really nice (with real sharp edges) 2008 P & D's in a box last month which was kind of a surprise. And the '08's have a slightly lower mintage than the other clad NIFC's (mintage: 1.7 m). But all the clad non-proof NIFC's have similar mintages - between 1.7-3.8 m - so I would think the odds of finding them in circulation should be fairly equal for each of these years unless you find a large stash of all the same year for some reason.

I've never tried selling them and I'm not sure if you can get much of a premium for them in circulated cond. but if you do good luck and HH
    I do around 14 boxes per week and have done so since Jan. I have obtained them in a fairly equal amount since that time. It would be nice if someone was buying these at a slight premium since the mintage is so much lower than most other years.

us
    Jun 2011
    Southeastern MI
    209 times

I keep one of each yr and mint mark for my collection and a tube (20) of the best condition one I can find. The rest go into the wild.
    In my opinion 120 is way too many. That is $60, I'd rather have a gram of gold or 2 oz of silver! I dont expect these coin to rise in value in the next 10-20 yrs

us
    Aug 2011
    Silverville
    369 times
    CRHing

Quote Originally Posted by JJDEMARAY
    I do around 14 boxes per week and have done so since Jan. I have obtained them in a fairly equal amount since that time. It would be nice if someone was buying these at a slight premium since the mintage is so much lower than most other years.
    wow - 14 boxes of halves a week all year? That's a lot of half dollars and a lot of searching and dumping. Have you had much success with silver this year? What are some of your best finds?

I've also been wondering if the mint might stop minting half dollars completely at some time in the future - since they don't even mint them for circulation any more. If they do then the value for these NIFC's would most likely increase.
    2014 results:
    Dollars ($120 searched): 1 silver Ike ('76S)
    Halves ($53,565.50 searched): 48 x 90% (12 Bens, 5 Walkers, 1893 commem), 341 x 40% (2 x '68S, '69S, '76S), 4 x '82P no FG's, 2 mag. coins
    Nickels ($2470 searched): 21 silver, 14 buffalos ('13 T1, '24, '26, '27, '28, '30S, '36, '36S & 6 nd's), '39S, '05P bison error
    Cents: 5 wheat's ('36, '39, '40, 2 x '41 - all free coin counter finds)

"Paper is poverty. It is only the ghost of money, and not money itself " - Thomas Jefferson

us
    Mar 2011
    3 times

Quote Originally Posted by JJDEMARAY
    wow - 14 boxes of halves a week all year? That's a lot of half dollars and a lot of searching and dumping. Have you had much success with silver this year? What are some of your best finds?

I've also been wondering if the mint might stop minting half dollars completely at some time in the future - since they don't even mint them for circulation any more. If they do then the value for these NIFC's would most likely increase.
    Early in the year was excellent, but in this area the silver has been much tougher to come by lately.

us
    R.I.P. Rich Hartford, You'll be missed.

Feb 2011
    in front of you in the bank
    1258 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

The most common year I get is 2008, both mint marks. average 10+ per box.

I am up to 4 of those 1987p halves this year too!
    HH
    BuffaloBoy

us
    Jul 2010
    Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
    264 times
    Coin roll hunting, British coins, ancient coins, antiquities

2002 for me. I really don't save NIFCs unless they are proofs. I really don't think they will be worth much more than 50 cents in our lifetimes. After all, a 1970 is worth little more than melt these days and that was made over 40 years ago. I think the days of key dates are gone and the only rarities will be condition rarities like unspotted, uncirculated, red, zinc pennies. While NIFC halves have really low mintages, the fact that they are exclusively purchased by collectors and likely to be in mint state means that I don't see the price rising substantially unless a bunch of people get into clad half dollar collecting. Yes, 50-75 years from now they will be worth more than face value, but how much more over melt?
    Speeding up Gresham's law one roll at a time

us
    Aug 2011

2 boxes and a bunch of lose rolls I have come up with:

1x2002P
    1x2009D
    2x1987P

So 1987P

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors