Resettable counter recommendation for comparitor/coin hopper

BCD11

Oct 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
I would appreciate your recommendation for a resettable counter that can be attached to either a CMI CC-16D/E comparitor or used with the hopper optics on a IGT S2000 coin hopper. If you can recommend the brand and/or where you bought it would be a big help.

Thanks for your time and any info you can share.

Bart

Upvote 0

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Bart.

Glad to see you are tackling the task of ... That's great.

I ...

BCD11 said:
a resettable counter that can be attached to either a CMI CC-16D/E comparitor . . .

For your comparator, there is ...

Connect the ... terminal of ...

This will cause ...

BCD11 said:
. . . or used with the hopper optics on a IGT S2000 coin hopper.

The optics ...

IMO, a ...

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BCD11

Oct 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi madwest!

Good to hear from you again. Also, thanks for the lightning fast reply and info on counters. I've prowled eBay, talked with the people at CMI, and talked with a GREAT guy in Redondo Beach, CA. Like you, they all gave me great info.

Actually, my old age is catching up with me! The counter will be used to count the 95% coppers. I want to make $50 bags and doing it with one of those plastic tubes that measure 50 cents takes a l-o-o-ong time. I was going to run them through the hopper if I could get the optic sensor to fire a counter. Adding a counter to the comparitor is the easy solution but I'm thinking the rake solenoid will wear out much quicker. Maybe I'm worrying about something I shouldn't be.

I'm happy to say I got the feed chute improved big time. I had some success with a longer plexi chute but thought I could do better. I tinkered and came up with a prototype that is about 6" long and made out of lightweight furnace duct metal. The comparitor is basically clamped to the coin hopper base with the chute/slide bridging the two. MUCH more compact contraption.

I sort about 200 coins/minute only because I'm running the hopper on 12V instead of 28V. I'm happy with the slower speed until I can get everything tied together on a more permanent basis.

REAL happy this gizmo is finally starting to come together! It would still be a mess without your help and all the others that have offered suggestions. Again, THANKS A LOT FOR ALL OF YOUR TIME AND HELP!

Bart

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
Bart, I'm glad to help. I think ...

I'm having ...

From the sensor, it ...

Anyway, ...

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BCD11

Oct 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
:hello2: Great idea madwest!!

At one time I had thought of using a simple counter with a trip wire but got all excited when I found the hopper had optics that would count. Better to wait on the excitement until I understand the optics operation.

Thanks for the explanation on the optics function. As you can probably tell this is not a topic I'm well versed in. Once I got past the "plug it in and see if it works" part, and it didn't work, I knew I was in trouble. So-o-o, I'll be picking your impedance explanation apart and Googling the items I don't understand. This has become a challenge; I will get the optics working, it's just a matter of how big the hammer is...

NEVER thought of a pedometer...probably because I don't think much of walking/jogging/running. 'But the only time I run now is when we get a fire call. I'm a volunteer firefighter and the tones still get the adrenaline moving. I will be checking out pedometers!

IMO the pedometer idea is noteworthy. I see a banner can be added to a topic post and I assume a banner is a good thing. I went through the Help section and missed/didn't see a banner ex plantation. Do you know if a banner denotes something special? If it does, I'm bannering your pedometer idea.

I too like odd ball stuff...ask my wife. Rube Goldberging is where it's at!

Hope your day is a good one.

Thanks AGAIN for your help!

Bart

OP
OP
B

BCD11

Oct 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey madwest,

Much to my wife's chagrin the day is filling up with errands for coin sorting; tracking down pedometers, hopper parts #'s, credit union to pick up this week's coin supply...it never ends! Correction, it will when she's had enough.

Anyhoo, I'll pull parts #'s I can find and send them in another post. Assuming I don't need an EE degree to fire up the optics I would like to go that route. However, if it involves harnessing into this, that, and another circuit board on the hopper I'll try the pedometer or a simple counter with a trip wire.

FYI, here's the URL for another forum where minds much more advanced than mine are churning on this project, http://newlifegames.net/nlg/index.php?topic=15092.new;topicseen . I'm figuring when that bunch agrees on a usable solution I'll see if someone can lay it out in terms I can understand. However, I sure wouldn't mind with your help, figuring out the hopper optics.

Again, thank you for all of your time and mental energy; it sure is appreciated.

Bart

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread