Half Dollars - Nube question... "S" mint mark - whats so special?

Delta2187

Sep 22, 2011
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Half Dollars - Nube question... "S" mint mark - what's so special?

Ok ... so, I get the silver thing. Easy..but, with regard to half dollars - are there 1971+ 'key date' coins that I should be looking for (I don't edge check, I sort by date)?

Someone, somewhere had posted that he pulls all 'S' mint marks but he didn't post his reasoning. Personal preference or is there something significant about all 'S's? I looked (briefly) for a 'key date' list for halves but couldn't find one.

Upvote 0

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: Half Dollars - Nube question... "S" mint mark - what's so special?

"S" mintmark half dollars (1960s-present) are not intended for circulation and are usually proof coins (although I think they made some uncirculated 40%ers for the Bicentennial. And the "Key dates" are the 1970-D, and all dates from 2002-present. I also think it is '87 that is a key date too, but not 100% sure on that one.

OP
OP
Delta2187

Delta2187

Sep 22, 2011
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Oh, dear Lord!!! I know that I've released some post 2002 halves back into circulation.....ding, dang, fangdabbitt!!!! Are they silver also? What makes 2002+ 'key dates' - I thought key dates were super rare errors/mistakes, insanely low production runs....?

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other

Delta2187 said:
Oh, dear Lord!!! I know that I've released some post 2002 halves back into circulation.....ding, dang, fangdabbitt!!!! Are they silver also? What makes 2002+ 'key dates' - I thought key dates were super rare errors/mistakes, insanely low production runs....?

No they aren't silver (there are some silver poofs, but they all have the telltale pure white edge). And if you look at the mintages when compared to the rest of the Kennedy halves they are super low production runs. The thing is, most Kennedy half collectors have already gotten their half dollars uncirculated from the mint, don't feel bad for tossing them back, all of us do. So in a sense, yes, they are key dates, for example the 2008-P and 2008-D mintages were both 1,700,000, to put that into comparison, the last half dollars minted for circulation the 2001s have a mintage of 21,200,000 for the 2001-P and 19,504,000 for the 2001-D. And to put that number into comparison 302,097,424 were minted of the 1971-D.

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Theres really nothing special about them unless you have the slot for -S- proofs in your kennedy half book.

-S- mint did make silvers but you will rarely find them in the wild because they would be from silver proof sets that someone unknowingly turned loose in the wild.

you can spot proofs easily edge checking and a half surface check method like I use, I find them all the time.

I usually save them and give them out to tellers, security guards, etc, just ask what year they were born in, they have that great mirror/frosted finish so people usually appreciate them.

HH
Bigheed

usandthem

May 19, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The 1987 halves were only released in sets and all halves minted after 2001 (2002 on) were NIFC and of low mintages. The 1970D was also only released in mint sets.

TheRockDoc

May 28, 2011

If you are going to be doing volume with halves, I do not think you will feel bad about releasing the NIFC back into the wild. I was saving them for about two weeks. Then it got to the point where it wasnt worth keeping them, for me anyways. I cannot keep all the NIFC, and/or 1987's that I find or I would tie up way to much CRH'ing capitol. I am about ready to start tossing back the s-mint mark proofs, too. Getting to many of them. Have you medium, to heavey volume guys found the same thing? Do you still keep NIFC, proofs, or 1987's?

Anyways, good luck Mr. Nube

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

i dont keep NIFC anymore unless its 2011.

I was keeping alot months ago, I think I am just going to keep 1 roll of each year 2002+ and release the rest, I only keep the -S- proofs that are in pretty good condition. I was keeping them all but I'm letting them go now as well. It can tie up the capital pretty fast. I probably have $200-250 NIFC to get rid of & 4 or 500 Ike dollars which I will attempt to sell at some point.

-Bigheed

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread