Bought some really nice silver coins, but...

bthomas71chevy

Apr 6, 2007
Bought some really nice silver coins (Franklins, Quarters, Dimes) and a alot of REALLY nice Nickels, but...

They are in smelly dansco albums and some of the coins have a film or spotting on them. :(

I have brand new albums, but don't want to transfer the coins to a new albums if they are tainted.

Anyone here deal with this sort of thing?!

-Brent

Upvote 0

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I've bought old albums such as Whitman off ebay, speckled, tarnished, film, etc. They were nice silvers too, but I dipped all of them. They were nice, but still junk silver. This is what I did. This method of cleaning may not be for everyone, so be forewarned.

buffhunter

May 30, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000
Pure acetone (not finger nail polish remover) will take off film, grease dirt and pvc without harming the coin.

OP
OP
bthomas71chevy

bthomas71chevy

Apr 6, 2007
anything else?

I read through dozens of posts through out the web on this, but am just not crazy about using such a chemical on coins that are in mint/perfect shape and some proof's but have been in a mildew smelling book with shall I say, "hazing" on them. I just don't want to infect my new book with other coins. (Plus I am reading that Acetone can effect the finish of proofs)

Now, I'm not talking about coins worth $1000 of dollars, but some of the nicest coins I have found.

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
bthomas71chevy said:
anything else?

I read through dozens of posts through out the web on this, but am just not crazy about using such a chemical on coins that are in mint/perfect shape and some proof's but have been in a mildew smelling book with shall I say, "hazing" on them. I just don't want to infect my new book with other coins. (Plus I am reading that Acetone can effect the finish of proofs)

Now, I'm not talking about coins worth $1000 of dollars, but some of the nicest coins I have found.

If the coins have the PVC film on them, the only remedy is to dissolve it away with a solvent. Metals are impervious to solvents. Plastics are not. The damage to the finish of the coin has come from the corrosive plasticizers in the PVC. Removing the film with the solvent is just exposing the damage done by the PVC.

Your options are:
1) Immediately remove the coins from the PVC album and leave them in free air and direct sunlight until the film fully hardens. That is then how your coins will stay. After about a month, put them in your new album.
2) Take the coins out of the PVC album one at a time and dip them in solvent (Acetone, Koinsolv, or other "pure" solvent). Let them air dry or lightly blot them with a soft cotton cloth (don't rub). This will work best if you can get the hazy film off before it fully cures.

Anything you do can compromise the finish of the coin if not done carefully. You need to decide if you want clean coins or hazy coins. If you want clean coins, your only options are solvent or polish. Polish absolutely does obliterate any numismatic value. Solvent can compromise it, but if done right, is more likely an enhancement over the PVC film.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread