Possible wheat penny error, please help identify! ****WITH PICTURES****

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all, I was going threough my CRH wheat pennies, and came across this penny with a worn slick back on it, though the obverse seems to be fine. If you can help identify if this is an error, the type of error and possible value? The reason i could not post pictures when i got it was because i did not have a scanner at the time, and forgot about the penny. Thanks for looking and HH!

-Scanned in 600 dpi for the best quality my scanner can go.

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 678
  • IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 570
Upvote 0

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
Not an error. If it were an error, it would be solid blank. thi sis just worn down. Could hvae many reasons, but somewhere along the way it was put under contact ont hat side with something that wore it down.

captainfwiffo

May 11, 2011
Southwest Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, you can get something that looks like that if it's struck through a die cap, but it would be a cap on the anvil die, which is rare. It could also be an extreme example of struck through grease. I tend to lean on the side of ordinary damage in this case, but in-hand examination by an expert could rule out the error possibilities. Is the coin bent at all? That could lead to uneven wear like this.

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks more like uneven wear to me. Even if it was a grease filled die it wouldn't be worth that much in that condition.

OP
OP
BuffaloBoy

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the coin is not bent, though i don't see how it could possibly be worn down on one side and not the other.

1235CE

May 23, 2006
The Beautiful Berkshires in Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
jrf30 said:
Not an error. If it were an error, it would be solid blank. thi sis just worn down. Could hvae many reasons, but somewhere along the way it was put under contact ont hat side with something that wore it down.

I get soooooo frustrated (mostly on the "Coins" forum, but also here), when someone asks a question and some people just automatically throw out a definitive answer, written in stone, which the OP, if not well versed in coins or errors, will probably take as gospel.

This definitely appears to be a heavily grease filled die or even possibly struck thru cloth. There is no damage to the obverse, no damage to the reverse, no damage to the upset rim.

It's OK if you don't know the answer to something, and if you don't, please don't pretend that you can see into the past, back to 1946, and throw out a reason why or how something did or did not happen.

HH all!

Greg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread