Quick New Member Intro

MCBR

Oct 22, 2011
LA, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I joined this forum (treasurenet.com) for the coin roll hunting portion so figured I'll give a quick intro here. I've been reading threads for the past month or so and found much useful info so finally figured I'd join. Below is a little background info on my wife and I...

My wife and I just recently got back into coin roll hunting in the last two months. Well actually its new for her, she liked coins as a kid, and had parents and grand parents who would look out for interesting stuff for her, and she would keep an eye on change, but never went through rolls of coins as we are now. I got into coin roll hunting (or coin sorting as my family called it) back in 4th grade (1994) after my brother found a war nickel at school, and when we showed interest in coins, my dad who had been into coin collecting as a kid (and got back into it with us), went to the bank and got us a bunch of rolls to sort through. Once that was a hit, he later got us some Whitman folders to keep our finds in (mostly wheat pennies and Jefferson Nickels). A field trip to the old SF mint that year only deepened my interested in coins. My siblings and I all periodically sorted through rolls of coins till I left for college.

Since we have started coin roll hunting again in mid September we've been doing a mix of pennies (my wife’s favorite) nickels, dimes, and halves. My latest cool find was a 1962 Canadian Quarter. Stopped by a bank I don’t usually go to while out shoppin, to pick up a bit more to go through this weekend. They did not have as many nickels as I asked for so they offered me some rolls of quarters. I've never really bothered with quarters as I’ve never found any silver ones, and the clad ones are not that interesting to me. I took 5 plastic rolls anyways just for fun (and need some for laundry). Looked over the edges when I got home and was surprised to see an all silver edge. Opened the roll and was initially disappointed to find a well worn Canadian quarter, but it looked quite like silver so checked the date and sure enough it was.

Anyways hope this was an ok place to post this intro. I look forward to learning more from everyone here.

Take care,
~Matt

Upvote 0

gold eye

Jan 2, 2010
tampa fl
Detector(s) used
garret masterhunter 7x ace 250
Matt welcome hope you have many happy hunting days the silver is out there . Happy hunting Ron

rileyboy

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2010
Welcome to the forum. You will enjoy it.
Lots of luck out there finding good coins in rolls
Cheers,
rileyboy

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome M,
In 1968, some canadian quarters were 50% silver, and some were 99% nickel. Congrats on the silver.

OP
OP
M

MCBR

Oct 22, 2011
LA, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the welcome guys. I'll post any interesting finds we have along with any questions we come up with.

Have not had a lot of luck with silver so far, but have another two boxes of halve and some dimes coming in this week. We've done two boxes of halves plus almost a thrid in loose in the last month, and have yet to find a silver half. But will keep at it.

Take care,
~Matt

ramjet2187

Nov 29, 2005
North Central Tennessee
Detector(s) used
MXT
Welcome aboard. Just like making omelets (you gotta crack a few eggs), around here, ya gotta eat a few skunks. It comes with the territory. Many great silver and coin finds. :hello: :hello:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread