Penny Arcade reject tube....priceless historical find.

synapse

Oct 3, 2006
New England
After dumping a skunky box of dimes and some skunky CWR halves into the penny arcade, I checked the reject slot. To my surprise, I found a coin that I have seen before on this site, but wasn't quite sure what to make of it. It turns out it's a colonial copper coin, minted in 1776. This is what the all-knowing internet has to say about it: William Moulton (WM on the coin) was empowered by the newly formed House of Representatives to make a copper coin in 1776. Not much more is known about these coins. They did not appear in circulation. If you should have a genuine New Hampshire copper, it is essentially priceless.

So this is OBVIOUSLY what happened: This was the ORIGINAL coin that William Moulton minted, but he knew that he had a very valuable coin on his hands, and wanted to make sure that is was safe from thieves. Therefore, he stamped "COPY" on it to ward off anybody that wanted to steal it. I'm a little upset that he did this. Now there's no way that anyone will believe me that it is a nearly priceless, genuine piece of American history.

The only other option is that it actually IS a copy. That may be a little more believable.

Attachments

• colonial copper.jpg
    colonial copper.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 1,577
Upvote 0

AGBlex

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
southern, Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if i saw that. I would have literally had to of been picked up off the floor

OP
OP
synapse

synapse

Oct 3, 2006
New England
ckrakowski said:
can/will you get that graded?

Ha - if it were real, i would immediately have it graded. Since it is a copy, i will probably use it as a stocking-stuffer for my nephew.

Th3Offspring

Aug 29, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:dontknow: sarcasm is lost on some, funny story too bad it wasn't the real deal lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread