What are YOU saving up for?

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I think we are saving for retirement, which is still many years down the road.

Of course, if we ever stumbled into the deal of the century, like a foreclosure house we recently missed out on, I'd sell my silver to help fund that...not that I have very much silver...but with some investments, every bit counts.

TheRockDoc

May 28, 2011
This is a cool thread, I did one several months ago about what everybodys goals were with CRH'ing. It was way cool, I wish more would have contributed. In fact I think Im gonna bump it. My goal, or what Im saving up for is to accumulate enough silver from CRH'ing to buy a house with it.

Seems far fetched, but I have always been one of those far fetched weirdos...

OP
OP
GimmeSomeSilver

GimmeSomeSilver

Sep 21, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TheRockDoc said:
This is a cool thread, I did one several months ago about what everybodys goals were with CRH'ing. It was way cool, I wish more would have contributed. In fact I think Im gonna bump it. My goal, or what Im saving up for is to accumulate enough silver from CRH'ing to buy a house with it.

Seems far fetched, but I have always been one of those far fetched weirdos...

Nothing wrong with dreamin' big! :hello2:

Good luck!

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GimmeSomeSilver said:
Just a random thought; anyone saving their silver for something specific, other than the Apocalypse? Haha. Post it. :hello2:

I'm looking to buy a boat when I save up enough!

HH,
Cody.

My original intention was to add some 90% to the collection while hopefully acquiring enough 40% to trade for the old U.S. gold coins that have eluded my detector for so many years. :D However, after really getting into this, I decided that silver was likely the better investment (for now anyway) and I have just stayed put. I'm not saving for anything in particular, but wouldn't hesitate to sell in case of emergency and/or a better investment opportunity.

What kind of boat are you looking for?

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am saving my silver for 2 things:

1. 50%--> family vacation fund.
2. 50%--> 1893 S Morgan Dollar (when I get enough).

At current prices, I will need to find about 1500 more 40%ers to get my Morgan (considering only half goes to the coin fund). My silver dollar collection will stay in my safe deposit box until I retire/need the money.

HH
BB

OP
OP
GimmeSomeSilver

GimmeSomeSilver

Sep 21, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ArkieBassMan said:
GimmeSomeSilver said:
Just a random thought; anyone saving their silver for something specific, other than the Apocalypse? Haha. Post it. :hello2:

I'm looking to buy a boat when I save up enough!

HH,
Cody.

My original intention was to add some 90% to the collection while hopefully acquiring enough 40% to trade for the old U.S. gold coins that have eluded my detector for so many years. :D However, after really getting into this, I decided that silver was likely the better investment (for now anyway) and I have just stayed put. I'm not saving for anything in particular, but wouldn't hesitate to sell in case of emergency and/or a better investment opportunity.

What kind of boat are you looking for?

Nothing too big. Maybe just a nice 20 footer to take out fishing on lake erie (my back-yard :hello2:) Sure, I have the Maumee river to feed my walleye addiction for a month or so, but after that, I need to get out on the lake.

I got a White's MXT Pro last month and I haven't found 1 silver coin yet. :dontknow: I've found $20 or so in clad, but where is the silver?! Any suggestions?

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GimmeSomeSilver said:
Nothing too big. Maybe just a nice 20 footer to take out fishing on lake erie (my back-yard :hello2:) Sure, I have the Maumee river to feed my walleye addiction for a month or so, but after that, I need to get out on the lake.

I got a White's MXT Pro last month and I haven't found 1 silver coin yet. :dontknow: I've found $20 or so in clad, but where is the silver?! Any suggestions?

To find old coins, you have to go to old locations. Just like CRH, its all about location and volume. Keep swinging, and you'll hit silver eventually. It isn't easy, and just like reading about CardsNCoins' CRH finds, reading posts on this forum about those people that find 20 silvers during a single afternoon or 200+ silvers in a year can be a bit discouraging. I found a total of 7 silvers last "season" and felt that I had a decent year. I have yet to find that 1 magical spot where silver is everywhere. In fact, 2 silvers in 1 day is my personal best. But, one of these days I will hit that awesome location. Its just a matter of time. Been telling myself that since about 1980. :icon_thumleft:

I have an 18' Lowe with a 115 hp Evinrude that I would sell, although it might not be quite big enough for Erie. Feel free to PM me - about the boat, MDing, or anything else for that matter. An invite to go chase smallies on Erie might get you a better deal as well! ;D

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In addition to CRH finds, I also purchase at least one five ounce bar a month. Every other month I purchase at least five grams
of gold or more (Depending on funds).

All of my silver and gold is going to supplement retirement. I figure 12 - 15 years from now, what I paid 32 dollars an ounce for
might possibly be worth $100.00 an ounce.

gordon and tanner

Dec 10, 2009
South East, MI
Detector(s) used
my eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
I plan to leave my finds in a cigar box in the basement so when I die, my heirs and find them and dump them into Coin Star machine.

Real Goal: Trip back to New Zealand

Dad and Tanner

OP
OP
GimmeSomeSilver

GimmeSomeSilver

Sep 21, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FreedomUIC said:
In addition to CRH finds, I also purchase at least one five ounce bar a month. Every other month I purchase at least five grams
of gold or more (Depending on funds).

All of my silver and gold is going to supplement retirement. I figure 12 - 15 years from now, what I paid 32 dollars an ounce for
might possibly be worth $100.00 an ounce.

Smart move. I usually try to keep at least 2k in cash to buy my weekly halves and anything in excess of that goes into buying what silver I can afford.

OP
OP
GimmeSomeSilver

GimmeSomeSilver

Sep 21, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gordon and tanner said:
I plan to leave my finds in a cigar box in the basement so when I die, my heirs and find them and dump them into Coin Star machine.

Dad and Tanner

I refuse to travel anywhere cold. Haha.

coincrawlin

Sep 13, 2010
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't plan to sell any of my silver anytime soon, but knowing I have it gives me some room to spend money on things I might not otherwise. My immediate goal is to get a metal detector. Been looking at the Whites VX3, but hard to spend $1k on something that's really a "toy".

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
All of my 40%ers go to paying off my credit cards. Silver is appreciating fast, but I don't know if it will be consistently higher than the 15% interest on my cards. I keep my Franklins and WLH, but 90% Kennedy's get sold or I trade them in for gold or ASE's.
I also paid for an engagement ring with some of my silver from the last 6 months... Let's hope she says yes!

$ilver$urfer

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I get enough saved up, I will sell the silver at a price point I am happy with and pay off my house! :thumbsup:

HH,

$ilver$urfer :hello:

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i sold $3500 worth when it was $43 just to prove to my wife that it wasn't some wild goose chase I was running.

I don't plan to sell now until it hits 45-50 again then I might consider dropping off 500 FV at the refiner, but only if theres something I need and don't have the cash for, otherwise I guess its just going to collect dust :-)

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Going to bury mine in a secret place. Then make a hard as hell treasure map and leave it with my will. When I die my kids can have the time of their lives looking for Dads treasure.

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
In the short term, I'd like to exchange some of my finds for better collectable coins.

For example:

5s47.jpg

The Gothic Crown

Heraclea_06.jpg

Drachm of Lucania, Heraclea

Rhodes_11.jpg

Tetradrachm of Rhodes

1sn45.jpg

Siege money from the English civil war (this example was silver plate which was brought from the Royalists in Newark and then it was stamped with the value, this particular example is a shilling)

Edward_Penny.jpg

And more reasonably, just some generic hammered, I think that one is an Edward III penny minted in London.

db23

Mar 18, 2011
GimmeSomeSilver said:
gordon and tanner said:

Dad and Tanner

I refuse to travel anywhere cold. Haha.
??? So go when it's warm? I was wearing shorts when I was there a couple years ago.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread