One more box, much hilarity ensues....

MalteseFalcon

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2005
I switched to another branch to buy my halves. Got the first box in last night.

Sat around for several hours......had some interesting finds.

Firstly, 36 40% halves in a variety of conditions from 1965 to 1969.

Secondly, we always find unsual stuff.....well, it was my turn to find some mildly unusual things.

I found a half with a neat hole drilled in it. Guess someone used it for a necklace or keychain or something. As a matter of fact, I think I might add it to my keychain haha.

Then in the photo, to the left of that is a 1971-D that is offstruck. You can see the rim on the upper left side, but then at the very edge, the rim suddenly gets very high off the face. It is a very thin sort of rim piece, and as a result the edge of the halve is about 1 1/2 times the normal thicknesss at the edge.

Then the two highlights of the operation:

As I was unrolling a roll, somewhere in the middle, the next coin had a glow about it. I immediately knew there was something different about this one. And I was right...on the lower left side is a 1968-S Proof. My first proof half....totally unexpected. The scan does not actually show how shiny it is.....it needs some polishing, as you can plainly see someone's fingerprint on it.

But WOW! And the reverse is like looking in a mirror! I always wondered if I would easily recognize a proof if I saw it......I sure found out last night!! ;D

Another interesting find is the lower right hand corner.

It is not a key date, but it is a 1999-D that is so shiny, it might as well be a proof. BU with slight wear? Well, I dunno....but out of every box I find occasional halves that look beautiful. This one is the shiniest looking half I have found so far, though I always seem to get a whole flock of shiny perfect looking 1997-Ds in every box. This one is nicer looking. Once again, the scan does not do it justice.

T0_-1_1615481.jpg

So this box worked out nicely.

I still have yet to get a Bennie, or a Walker.

I went to turn in some of the halves at another bank today, and the teller asked if I found anything. I told her yes I did find a few things. She says she keeps an eye out for silver, and the best one she has found so far is an 1898 Half-dollar, which she said she still has.

Happy Hunting everyone!

:D

Upvote 0

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finds. That 1971D is what is known as a misaligned die. I have found quite a few and usually put them in with my pile to spend. They are interesting but dont really add any value.

HobBob

Feb 18, 2006
SW Oakland County, MI
MalteseFalcon said:
I went to turn in some of the halves at another bank today, and the teller asked if I found anything. I told her yes I did find a few things. She says she keeps an eye out for silver, and the best one she has found so far is an 1898 Half-dollar, which she said she still has.
:o Wow. Wouldn't you like a job like that??

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread