Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Ordering Ike dollars from the Federal Reserve

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Sep 2011
    N.J
    80 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Ordering Ike dollars from the Federal Reserve

Heres my story i REALLY love big Ike dollars and would use them over $1 dollar bills but, i cant find a bank willing to order them for me i tried everywhere and am really kinda down about it . Now i looked on the Feds website and it shows on there order/deposit form that they can still be deposited and ordered. Is it possible for me to go in to my local fed bank and order a full $1000 bag? Heres the link for proof

http://www.frbservices.org/operation...epositing.html
    For economic news,press releases,and general information of the U.S monetary system a wide array of information can be learnt below

http://www.federalreserve.gov/

us
    Oct 2011
    Coin Roll Hunting

Re: Ordering Ike dollars from the Federal Reserve

If you do figure out how to order these, I'd love to know as well!

People are willing to pay quite a bit of a premium on them on ebay sometimes, so even after fees I think a 20% profit will be possible. Turn that $1k into $1200
    Finds since the beginning of October :: Wheaties - 90 :: War Nickel - 7 :: Quarter - 1 :: Dime - 1 :: 40% halves - 101 :: WL - 1 ::

us
    Aug 2011
    PA
    Fisher F2, Hands
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by Zephr

People are willing to pay quite a bit of a premium on them on ebay sometimes, so even after fees I think a 20% profit will be possible. Turn that $1k into $1200
    This is very true, although I suggest craigslist to narrow down your profit. 12% of $120 is $14.40. That's a $5.60 profit after all is said and done, not counting cost of gas and time to mail and listing.
    CRH Totals since Aug 20th (updated December 12th)

Walking Liberties - 2
    Ben Franklins - 7
    90% Kennedys - 9
    40% Kennedys - 60
    Rosies - 3 (1 in bag of havles, 2 in reject bin)

us
    Dec 2010

It's my understanding that the FRB doesnt deal with regular people or take walk-in deposits. I think you have to be a financial institution to deposit/withdraw from them.

us
    Apr 2010
    289 times

A few years ago I was on a road trip in Florida for work, and did some CRHing. I asked one of the banks about big dollars, and they told me they could order bags of them. Said they had actually done it in the past. I was on the road, so never tried. I think it's just a matter of finding a bank willing to go thru the pain for you to do it maybe?

I'm in pretty good with some tellers. I'll inquire and let everyone know what I find out.

HH

us
    Mar 2011
    17 times

I'm assuming that since it's hardly worth the effort of selling these on ebay, the hope is that there would be a Morgan or Peace in the bag?

us
    Dec 2010
    520 times

Quote Originally Posted by dossier

This is very true, although I suggest craigslist to narrow down your profit. 12% of $120 is $14.40. That's a $5.60 profit after all is said and done, not counting cost of gas and time to mail and listing.
    Plus the real risk of having a buyer pull a scam and say that they never received their coins.

Charter Member
    um
    Jul 2004
    Broward Co.
    Tesoro Sand Shark, Whites M6
    2429 times

Quote Originally Posted by clovis97
    Quote Originally Posted by dossier

Plus the real risk of having a buyer pull a scam and say that they never received their coins.
    That's what signature confirmation is for. Not many sellers know that any transcaction over $250.00 on Ebay requires it in order to protect the seller. Delivery confirmation is not enough if the buyer wants to run a scam. Also, any returned items over $250 from a buyer must be sent with signature confirmation as well, it works both ways. When I say "requires it" I mean when it comes to sending it back (as a buyer) or appealing a case (as a seller). Under $250.00 delivery confirmation is all that's needed.

Not that any of this really matters, I think kevinbomb123 (or if it were me) really just wants Ikes to search in hopes of fimding a Morgan or Peace in the lot.
    In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is King.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink it.

us
    Sir

Oct 2011
    Rubber room
    8 times
    coin roll hunting

Do you think there may be a morgan or peace in the lot of Ikes?

And do you think a bank REALLY COULD order these things. My mom is a manager at a bank, I wonder?

N8
    Doomsday Prepper

us
    Mar 2011
    17 times

Quote Originally Posted by n8dagr8345

And do you think a bank REALLY COULD order these things. My mom is a manager at a bank, I wonder?

N8
    I know of at least 1 bank that will order them if I asked. I just don't think the chances of finding a morgan or peace are very good.

us
    Jul 2010
    Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
    264 times
    Coin roll hunting, British coins, ancient coins, antiquities

Most banks should be able to order them from their coin supplier. The thing is though, if they do the online form, they do not appear anywhere. So they have to physically call in the order to their coin supplier.
    Speeding up Gresham's law one roll at a time

Charter Member
    um
    Jul 2004
    Broward Co.
    Tesoro Sand Shark, Whites M6
    2429 times

N8
    Anythings possible. I found one in a CWR of Ikes that I got at the bank a few years ago. So, if they get turned in to the bank by Joe Schmoe, then get sent back to the fed. and thrown into a hopper to be machine wrapped, why not? I know a guy that got 2 full rolls of Morgans once from the bank. Just like halves, stuff gets turned in and sent back out into the wild. I'm sure the finds would be few and far between, but yes it is possible.
    In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is King.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink it.

us
    Sir

Oct 2011
    Rubber room
    8 times
    coin roll hunting

Now here is my next million dollar question.... Do you think that coin machines would take IKE dollars and count them?
    n8
    Doomsday Prepper

us
    Aug 2011
    Silverville
    458 times
    CRHing

Now here is my next million dollar question.... Do you think that coin machines would take IKE dollars and count them?
    n8
    I don't think any coin machines will accept Ike dollars. I never really thought about it before but I don't even know if the coin machines I use will accept small golden dollar coins. I suppose they will but I don't think I'll ever try it. My luck they would probably be counted as quarters like I just found out the machines sometimes counts dimes as cents.

Btw, I just sold some clad Ike's less than an hour ago from an ad on Craigslist. I sold 115 for $125. Not much profit but at least I was able to dump them for a slight profit. Plus the guy was willing to drive all accross town and meet me just down the street from where I live.

If anyone is able to order an Ike box I'd sure be curious to know if they find any keepers.
    2014 results:
    Dollars ($145 searched): 1 silver Ike ('76S)
    Halves ($75,327 searched): 54 x 90% (15 Bens, 5 Walkers, 1893 commem), 393 x 40% (2 x '68S, '69S, '70D, '76S), 1 x 80% ('64 Canadian), 4 x '82P no FG's, 2 mag. coins
    Nickels ($2500 searched): 21 silver, 14 buffalos ('13 T1, '24, '26, '27, '28, '30S, '36, '36S & 6 nd's), '39S, '05P bison error
    Cents: 7 wheats ('36, '37, '39, '40, 2 x '41, '43 - all coin counter finds)

Total silver: 79.4514 ozs

us
    Jul 2010
    Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
    264 times
    Coin roll hunting, British coins, ancient coins, antiquities

Nope, no coin counter will take Ikes (well, at least none of the ones I've encountered) Most of the time they will get caught in the machine and jam it up. Dumping Ikes are pretty easy though, just use them to pay for things or sell them via eBay or Craigslist. Worst case scenario just roll them up and take them to a bank.
    Speeding up Gresham's law one roll at a time

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors