What do you tell the tellers?

coolpix9

Bronze Member
Jan 17, 2007
Primary Interest:
Other
Most tellers know what you are doing getting 3 boxes of halves. I have never worried about telling the truth. Some suggestions of truth I have used.
#1 I am having a big poker party and my guests are allergic to poker chips.
#2 My local Boy Scout troop is saving for a trip to the mint and I want to help.
#3 My wife makes jewelery from them.
#4 I want to have enough on hand when the paper money disintegrates.
#5 I need some extra weight to keep my trotline out of the boat channel.
#6 My favorite is I had a dream that the Kardashians were CRHing and I need to also.
Good Luck, Jim

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other
tand324 said:
What do you tell tellers if they ask why you need large amounts of coins?

If it helps, I was thinking of getting three boxes of halves when I finish my essays for PEA.

My local tellers I tell them that I am gathering a collection for my younger nephew. Trying to get him interested in something other than getting in trouble.

Those outside the local area, while I was driving from city to city, I told them my father had a home invasion robbery and they stole his collection. I am out hitting every bank in a 50 mile radius of my house to try to get him a new collection made for Christmas. They let me take rolls, search them, bring them back in and exchange them for more rolls.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I don't ever lie.

I just tell them we are collectors.

Then I usually tell them "I am just a boring person. My daughter and sit at the kitchen table and look for stuff we don't have." All of this is true...she gets more excited about finding silver and proofs more than I do.

I find that more than 50% of the tellers already know that we are looking for silver.

cbrtriple8

Aug 11, 2011
I tell the tellers that I like tossing coins in the air and "make it rain" like them rappers in the music video......... :headbang: :headbang:

AgentX

Dec 21, 2010
I'm burying my families inheritance in a treasure chest. And no, I don't want any presidential coins for my treasure chest just because there gold.

That Canadian Guy

Sep 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
I tell them I collect coins and that I look for the old really old coins. I go to the same banks so often all the tellers are friends with me and to them I am "The kid who collects old coins and bills" although I am on a first name basis with many of the tellers.

Piledriver

May 21, 2011
I tell them I am a Coin Collector, and that I am serious about my hobby.

Let them drool, as I pick up my boxes. I know that they know I am after silver.

But do any of them have the self discipline to keep a grand around to use for swing? Hardly.

I don't think I will be getting any serious competition anytime soon.

Keep on Rollin' !

Darth Walker

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
" I have charity associations that help the poor, elderly, etc. ect, and I need to coins for game prices"

" I am the son of one of the board of directors of this bank and the ceo said it is ok for me to come to buy coins. Do you want to call him? I have his number here in my cell phone"

"I work at this bank you disrespetfull teller. I am in the legal, oil and gas, commercial lending department, what is your name?"

" With the force I just make them give me the coins"

Darth Walker

TheRockDoc

May 28, 2011
Maybe some of the "vets" here will agree with me, Im curious to see. My expirience is that when I first started, (maybe first 6 months) I felt like I needed to make up stupid stories and lies just to make myself feel a little better about the fact that I was maybe a little embarrassed about what I was doing. As I got more comfortable, and started doing more and more volume, I found that it became easier for me to start telling the "truth". The truth as in- I am a collector, Im working on a half dollar album right now. Every once in a while (not very often) a teller will ask about silver, or say, "do you take all the silver ones out"? to which I reply, "silver is always nice, but has become pretty few and far between... anyways, the point is, I started out lying, and then I began telling the truth, but recently I have started with a story that I have found to really change the way tellers respond to my half dollar inquiry. Instead of the typical dirty looks, the attitudey responses, and just an overall negative vibe I get when I ask for halves most the time... My new story gets usually gets me "ohh, how nice". and "gosh, that is so awesome" stuff like that. It involves me, my young boy, and a "sick" grandpa being in town, (the one who got me into collecting years ago-of course.)... Maybe in time I will begin to believe this story, it sure would have been nice to have a grandpa, or anyone for that matter to have gotten me into collecting. I really feel like I missed the boat on this amazing hobby.

Chris.

My advice, tell the truth, until u can find the type of story that actually makes a difference as to how you get treated when CRH'ing...... take it or leave it.

F

Farchaus2k

I tell them I'm building a 10 story huge safe, and once I have enough coins to fill it up, I'm going to go swimming in it like Scrooge McDuck.

airborne1092

Sep 7, 2008
Inland NW
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tell 'em their hair/tan/eyes/smile looks great, as I hand them a cup of iced coffee.

Or, I ask them what their name is, then I put them on notice that I'm about the ask them a very serious question. I smile, and sound all coy and nervous as I present either my acct number or a wad of cash to trade...

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Hi, uhhh... give me all the 1964 and older halves. they are silver and are worth more money."

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions