Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

us
    Dec 2011
    CRH

2001 gold colored quarter?

My daughter found this quarter while searching to complete her state quarter set. It's a 2001 North Carolina P mint quarter that is gold colored. I couldn't find any information about it in the Red Book. What's special about it that the coin is gold colored? I'm going to try and attach it so you can see.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	quarter.jpg 
Views:	2425 
Size:	82.2 KB 
ID:	596410  

us
    Tuberale

May 2010
    Portland, Oregon
    White's Coinmaster Pro
    20 times

Re: 2001 gold colored quarter?

I think what you daughter found is a gold-plated quarter. Not necessarily more collectible. Only has a cent or two worth of gold on it. But the gold plating may help slow future deterioration of the metal in the coin.

As the gold addition is considered a no-no, the coin does not have additional numismatic value. But it does look nice, and is an interesting addition to her collection. She can now state authoritatively: "I have a gold coin."

us
    Dec 2011
    CRH

That's very cool. She'll be so excited. When she found it we were at a dark restaurant and I couldn't tell even after she showed me until we got home. That will make a great addition to her collection. One she'll cherish for a long time.

I guess that's a private company that does that and sells them for a profit? Are there any other coins out there like that?

Charter Member

Jan 2007
    29 times

It was part of a QVC or HSN coin sale. They put one each of the first 5 years or so of state quarters and plated them. Nice find, JP
    -

us
    Jul 2010
    Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
    264 times
    Coin roll hunting, British coins, ancient coins, antiquities

Quote Originally Posted by Dinero2005
    That's very cool. She'll be so excited. When she found it we were at a dark restaurant and I couldn't tell even after she showed me until we got home. That will make a great addition to her collection. One she'll cherish for a long time.

I guess that's a private company that does that and sells them for a profit? Are there any other coins out there like that?
    Yep, there are gold plated everything, along with silver plated and chrome plated. Similarly in the "novelty" items are "colorized" coins, some of the Silver Eagles actually look quite good Colorized and sell for a small premium over the Eagle's base price. Flea markets abound with such things and they can be fun to collect. The thing is though, they won't have any resell over the coin's base price (and are considered to be damaged to a serious collector), so always buy them for cheap (don't buy the ones advertised on TV via the TV, if you want them buy them second hand for pennies).

Here are some of the altered coins I've found online that I think look decent:

Speeding up Gresham's law one roll at a time

us
    Feb 2008
    Great Lakes State
    987 times
    silver surfing

I remember plating stuff in my high school metal shop class back in the day.

Charter Member
    us
    May 2011
    MASATHVSETS
    XP Deus, Minelab CTX3030, Garrett AT-Pro, Pro-pointer
    640 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (3)
    Honorable Mentions (1)

I have found a few gold plated clad coins. I stick them in my son's treasure chest along with the gold looking foreigns I find.

us
    Aug 2010
    Illinois

They can be fun if you have someone that would appreciate them gold plated halves I tend to just throw back though.

Sponsors