Nf Strings and son halves box coming soon!!!!

Silverfrog

Greenie
Dec 31, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have searched a couple of brinks boxes of halves. They were all skunks. I asked a new bank that gets in Nf strings and son rolls of coins. I suspect that the box of halves will be from Nf strings and son. Does a Nf strings and son box of halves look any different than brinks? Also, in your experience are Nf strings and son boxes any better than brinks boxes of halves?

Upvote 0

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other
Silverfrog said:
I have searched a couple of brinks boxes of halves. They were all skunks. I asked a new bank that gets in Nf strings and son rolls of coins. I suspect that the box of halves will be from Nf strings and son. Does a Nf strings and son box of halves look any different than brinks? Also, in your experience are Nf strings and son boxes any better than brinks boxes of halves?

String boxes are flat, not double stacked like Brinks.

I have had my best luck with String rolls of halves than brinks. I have only dont one brinks box so far, got a single 40% from it. I did 10 rolls of Strings and got 16 40%.

I have two brinks boxes coming tuesday and 1 string on Friday. We will see who produces.

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
keep in mind that Strings are just the wrappers, the coins will still come from Garda or Dunbar which are the typical carriers of string wrappers....brinks usually has their own brand with brown and white.

You just need to keep digging to find the veins, I've found big scores from all major carriers and terrible streaks from all of them as well.

F

Farchaus2k

It has nothing to do all with with who supplies the boxes. If I go into a bank that uses Garda tomorrow and dump $1500 in clad halves. Then, when they send them in to be processed, Garda will get $1500 in clad halves. Likewise, if I dump $1500 in silver halves to a bank that is served by Garda, then when Garda processes these coins they will have $1500 in silver halves. It is exactly the same for every bank and every coin processing company.

GEOFF

Aug 30, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hope u get something good!!

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It has nothing to do all with with who supplies the boxes. If I go into a bank that uses Garda tomorrow and dump $1500 in clad halves. Then, when they send them in to be processed, Garda will get $1500 in clad halves. Likewise, if I dump $1500 in silver halves to a bank that is served by Garda, then when Garda processes these coins they will have $1500 in silver halves. It is exactly the same for every bank and every coin processing company.

Wrong. (at least in Los Angeles & any major metro area)

The processing service be it Brinks, Garda, etc does not co-mingle the coins from institution to institution. If Bank A sends off 1500 in halves with Garda they go into the vault of Bank A at Garda's cash vault. They do not go into the clad halve void space and get distributed to bank B, C, D. They will make that route on their own as different hunters purchase them and deposit them at different bank chains that may or may not use Garda or whoever. It would be an accounting nightmare otherwise.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This (CRH) is as close to a random endeavor as I can imagine - with all the variables involving machines ,and humans who either don't know and don't care about coins ,or do know but don't care , or humans who know and care about coins, namely coin collectors - the permutations of just the few variables I've mentioned are staggering numerically ,or statistically speaking , which leads me to these maxims : try it out (CRH) across various denominations ,try buying coin on road trips , try CWR (customer wrapped rolls) try bags if you can access them , try boxes - look at teller coin trays . Finally , if it isn't fun , give it a rest ! Enjoy it !!

Last edited:

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Hmmmm...NF String & Son manufactures industrial coin sorting machines...and coin wrappers...and table cloths and napkin tubes lol...

mark1982

Mar 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like others have said it's the luck of the draw. You may hit a silver vein for a few months straight while searching the flat boxes and then nothing for a long time. I will say that your area makes a huge difference. The banks in my area that use brinks do not have coin machines and there boxes suck. And I'm in a position to say that because between me and another hunter I am close friends with we have searched close to 70k worth of brinks halves with maybe 2 silvers. On the other hand most of the banks that use Dunbar and Garda in my area have coin machines that do not reject silver. Their boxes almost always have silver. Over 8 years of hunting it's my opinion that banks with coin machines that use which ever supplier will have the better boxes

OldColdRoll

Aug 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone know which supplier Coinstar uses? If the coins comingle with the banks, I imagine that supplier would have less Au since the Coinstar machines reject it.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
One aspect that could come into play, is that there are coin sorting/counting/rolling machines that CAN extract SILVER coins (Cummings Office Machines for one). Several years ago I friend of mine works at one of their field installation branches, and said that a NEW machine is coming on the market that can extract AG with the throw of a switch. It's more expensive than the previous models, which could be one reason not everyone is using them, YET. The coin machine that the coin vendors (Brinks, Garda, etc.) use are much much bigger capacity wise than what WE see in the banks, to where they can dump thousands of coins in the hopper at one time and not get jammed up. Our real answer to the question on the table, is for a person who actually WORKS at one of these coin vendors to pipe in and settle the problem on how it's done. There was a guy several years ago (goes by name of LIU21 on this forum) that worked for one of the processors, and gave some good inside info on the process. Some of you might remember him.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone know which supplier Coinstar uses? If the coins comingle with the banks, I imagine that supplier would have less Au since the Coinstar machines reject it.

Welcome to the forum. It's best to start a new topic instead of bringing up old topics.

meraxes

Jun 25, 2017
Sacramento
Primary Interest:
Other
One aspect that could come into play, is that there are coin sorting/counting/rolling machines that CAN extract SILVER coins (Cummings Office Machines for one). Several years ago I friend of mine works at one of their field installation branches, and said that a NEW machine is coming on the market that can extract AG with the throw of a switch. It's more expensive than the previous models, which could be one reason not everyone is using them, YET. The coin machine that the coin vendors (Brinks, Garda, etc.) use are much much bigger capacity wise than what WE see in the banks, to where they can dump thousands of coins in the hopper at one time and not get jammed up. Our real answer to the question on the table, is for a person who actually WORKS at one of these coin vendors to pipe in and settle the problem on how it's done. There was a guy several years ago (goes by name of LIU21 on this forum) that worked for one of the processors, and gave some good inside info on the process. Some of you might remember him.

It would be very unfortunate if these machines became more common place. At this point, however, perhaps it is no longer worth the trouble/expense with so much of the silver already culled from circulation. The double-edged sword cutting both ways.

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't worry about it. As you said the bigger machines don't reject silver and it wouldn't make sense for a coin processing plant to buy all new more expensive machines. It would be like a person buying a new car just because their old one needed an oil change. It's cheaper to fix the machines they have then replace them with these new silver culling machines.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's cheaper to fix the machines they have then replace them with these new silver culling machines.
But maybe they have the silver reject machines to harvest the silver as a sideline to their business. Where I used to live there was a huge gravel rock quarry. That was their main business, but there was a side product when they excavated the gravel. GOLD! It was a very profitable side product.

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But maybe they have the silver reject machines to harvest the silver as a sideline to their business. Where I used to live there was a huge gravel rock quarry. That was their main business, but there was a side product when they excavated the gravel. GOLD! It was a very profitable side product.

Big difference between the price of gold and the price of silver.

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think people are looking at silver culling machines the wrong way. We are all CRH and would love to ha e a silver culling machine of our own. These companies are not run by CRH and the only thing they care about is making money and being profitable. Stop worrying about these mythical machines all coming to the major coin processing plants. If that day ever does come you can still CRH CWR.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread