Have any of you found an oversized "zincoln" cent ???

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have any of you found an oversized "zincoln" cent ???

In the last few years I've come across two "zincoln cents that are the size of a nickel - the other
strange feature is that both look like they never got the copper wash - they are zinc grey ! when
I look at the edges they appear as though they got squashed a bit - They both have all the fine
details of a regular cent - they both weigh exactly right - Anybody ??? ( i'll post pics when ,
I can figure it out - no camera or usb cable yet )

Upvote 0

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: Have any of you found an oversized "zincoln" cent ???

Sounds like a broadstrike to me?

19334_0140_1_lg.jpg

Or it could be post mint damage via a dryer (can't seem to find any pics right now of a dryer zinc penny) over time it would cause the edge to expand and perhaps the copper coating to fall off?

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Generic_Lad said:
Sounds like a broadstrike to me?

19334_0140_1_lg.jpg

Or it could be post mint damage via a dryer (can't seem to find any pics right now of a dryer zinc penny) over time it would cause the edge to expand and perhaps the copper coating to fall off?

I have found one of those as well and it was definitely not a broadstrike, nor can I think of any way it could be post mint dimage as all the details seem full, just on the wrong size planchet with the wrong color. I didn't check the weight as I didn't have a gram scale until I got one for Christmas a couple weeks ago.

I'll see if I can find the one I have and post a pic if I have time later tonight.

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Although I can't explain why the detail is so good when I looked at mine again, it does have post mint damage. The rims have been bent out and flattened, which makes it larger. It also doesn't appear to be perfectly round. When I compared it against a nickel, it was almost exactly the same size...except on the one edge which wasn't quite as round. The weight was 2.6 grams.

I really hadn't looked that close at it before and just put it aside to study another day.

Being as mine has post mint damage, I didn't bother taking the time to take a picture.

cunextuesday

Nov 7, 2011
Detector(s) used
Fisher f5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You definitely shouldn't post pictures, that would make it easy to see what you are talking about.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread