Calling all Canadians and American who live in Canada bordering states.

tand324

Sep 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
My one and only question is if you are an American, do you go into Canada and get canadian coins to look through and vice versa for Canadians, do you head south to look for American coins?

Hint for people who live in southern border states, current 20 peso coins in mexico have a sterling silver center, it is currently being minted so free silver for those who live near méxico

Upvote 0

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't really have to leave. I get hundreds of canadian coins here in the states every coin order, and end up with dozens of canadian silvers every year.

Canadian hunter

Dec 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't go anywhere to search American coins, they are all coming to me on a steady basis ;D
By hunting one box of pennies a week, it is possible to fill all major US varieties from 1909 to date in one year.

AGBlex

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
southern, Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in southern canada. otherwise known as maine. I see a penny on the ground. i'll rarely pick it up because its most likely canadian. just like everythign else in a 25$ box of cents from the bank

Canadian hunter

Dec 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
AGBlex said:
I live in southern canada. otherwise known as maine. I see a penny on the ground. i'll rarely pick it up because its most likely canadian. just like everythign else in a 25$ box of cents from the bank

ABGlex, how many Canadian cents do you usually find per penny box?

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I live in Indiana, about a 7 hour drive to the Canadian border at Windsor.

It is astonishing to see how many Canadian coins I get here in String and CWR's...but never in Brinks.

We are collecting the Canadian in a half gallon jar, and I am either going to sell it to some Canadians that live close to us, or take a trip ourselves.

AGBlex

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
southern, Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Canadian hunter said:
AGBlex said:

ABGlex, how many Canadian cents do you usually find per penny box?

the last 4 boxes i have had. produces 150-300 per box

Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Scorpion.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Up here in Maine you don't need to cross the border as the Candadian coinage is inter mingled with the US coinage, cent for cent, dime for dime, quarter for quarter which I think is wrong but what the hay. Most Mainers don't even check them but I do. :hello2: and the ones I don't want get past along in my change. :laughing9: :laughing9:

Canadian hunter

Dec 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Same thing happens in Ontario. ABGlex, that is less than I typically get per box (American cents). Once I remember getting about 760 US pennies in a box. After that I started to treat US cents as the same coin as Canadian cent.
Marchas45 said:
Up here in Maine you don't need to cross the border as the Candadian coinage is inter mingled with the US coinage, cent for cent, dime for dime, quarter for quarter which I think is wrong but what the hay. Most Mainers don't even check them but I do. :hello2: and the ones I don't want get past along in my change. :laughing9: :laughing9:

Exactly!

bartholomewroberts

Feb 23, 2011
Cedar, B.C.
Detector(s) used
excal2, XP Deus, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not readily accessible to the border... But I do collect US coinage when it presents itself.

To the people in my area... a US coin is the same as a Canuck coin... No difference.

When the dollars were significantly different... well, then the US coins were saved... But there was the time a short while back, that the Canuck buck was fairly significantly more than the US dollar.... still treated the coins the same though

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tand , can you please verify this , about the silver in the Mexican 20 peso ? their economy is so
trashed- i'm having a very difficult time believing that they are putting silver back into their coins
after 40 years of base metal . Argentium

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread