silly question, how do you keep coin smell out of your hands?

santafeboy

Dec 8, 2010
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter 1100
The smell I really hate is clad junk however silver smells sweet to me

cbrtriple8

Aug 11, 2011
optix said:
I imagine most of you use gloves, but what kind works best? If you are handling a large amount of coins, the smell is bound to get trough the gloves.

Only go for the Ag coins, that way your hands don't stink... :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

OP
OP
O

optix

Jan 23, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lol I wash my hands too, just thinking if I decide to handle a large amount of pennies and 1/2 dollars. Silver does smell sweet to me also :)

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
numismatists wear gloves.....

hunters get their hands dirty.....for goodness sakes just use some lava soap after....... :laughing9:

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use Fast Orange, then soap; the stuff is absolutley great.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
I keep a bottle of hand sanitizer near my coin station, and a towel (or jeans). It keeps the hands clean when I need it, and I can easily clean off dirty junk silver.

bsloan

Jul 3, 2010
The heart of Aggieland
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I don't know for sure if it works with coin smell, but using shaving cream on my hands and ice chest gets rid of the fish smell after fishing all weekend. Just an idea.

Bill

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
BuffaloBoy said:
If you can't handle the smell, you can't handle CRH. :whip2:

Well said! I don't use any gloves and don't plan to even when I increase my volume.

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use latex gloves for sorting cents. When I'm done I'm always amazed at how filthy they are. Sure, I could just wash my hands instead. But if you saw how filthy these things are after handling that many coins you'd be less likely to want to rely on hand washing alone.

Then again, I tend to believe that cents are much dirtier than halves.

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other
mts said:
I use latex gloves for sorting cents. When I'm done I'm always amazed at how filthy they are. Sure, I could just wash my hands instead. But if you saw how filthy these things are after handling that many coins you'd be less likely to want to rely on hand washing alone.

Then again, I tend to believe that cents are much dirtier than halves.

After doing $500 in dimes and $200 in nickels, you should have seen my hands.

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cents generally have more "crud" on them but copper is a naturally bacteriocidic :-)

blink

Jan 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're really concerned about this or want a way to make sure clean up is a breeze...take a small dab of liquid laundry detergent and rub it on your hands. It creates a layer that will hold all the dirt and grime from penetrating the skin.

Learned this one working on cars back in the day.

Stang1968

Dec 14, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wash my hands when done, and then purell them. Seems to kill the smell pretty good. But then again, I'm not one to sniff my fingers either! :laughing9:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread