Just gotta tell this story!

Phillip_in_NM

Jul 15, 2006
Land of Enchantment
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, White's M6, Nokta Legend, Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I started roll hunting about a year ago - only halves thus far, but might try pennies and nickels next. I've been having a great time reading the posts from you more experienced roll hunters and I've learned a lot! Thank all of you!

Anyway, I passed through a small town a few months back. Since I had been hitting a lot of banks before getting to this one, I only had $200 to spend on halves there. I found some really old wrappers (The phone number for ordering more wrappers was only 5 digits - that's gotta be old!) Inside the old wrappers were nothing but franklins (26) and walkers (14).

I just passed that way again on Thursday. I cleaned them out - $920 worth of halves. Out of that I got 261 40% and 26 90% (12 Franklins, 8 Walkers and 6 Kennedy's). One roll, on which someone had written "Old" contained all the Franklins and Walkers. And the very last roll I opened was nothing but 40%. What a great way to end that bit of silver hunting. :o

At a different bank, I also found a silver Bicentennial "S" - Now is that 40% or 90%?

I've run out of friends and family to share this story with, so you folks gave me another opportunity to share it - thanks!

Phillip_in_NM

Upvote 0

HobBob

Feb 18, 2006
SW Oakland County, MI
Wow Phillip, you hit the jackpot!! Welcome to the group!

The Red Book has this to say about the composition of the 1976S bicentennials:
Silver clad - weight 11.56 grams; composition, outer layers of .800 silver, .200 copper bonded to inner core of .209 silver, .791 copper (net weight .14792 oz. pure silver).

By comparison, the 1965-1970 40%'ers are also .1479 oz. pure silver. If the numbers are accurate, it is just a skosh more silver than the 40% halves, by .00002 oz, but who's counting? ;D

HH,
Bob

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains
Welcome to the forum Phillip. THat is a great story and one very good haul. WOW a roll like that one would have had me suspicious. I would have had to go for it though, and BING it sure did pay for you.

Congratulations,

Postalrevnant

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG Phillip, those are outstanding results! Bring all your stories, good and bad, to the forum. We love 'em!

BTW, love the Ricky Gervais dance! :D

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Phillip, you have not only matched, but far surpassed some of us "old timers"! Kudo's ;D

ringding

May 5, 2006
Detector(s) used
Pioneer 505
Sounds like you dethroned me. It was a short time. Welcome to the hobby of having no paper bills. I heard methadone doesn't work for our problem.

OP
OP
Phillip_in_NM

Phillip_in_NM

Jul 15, 2006
Land of Enchantment
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, White's M6, Nokta Legend, Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pics? Don't I wish! If I had a brain, I would have taken a picture of the unsorted pile before I sorted them out. Heck, I think even pics of the sorted piles would have been good. Don't you worry. Next time, I'll be sure to take pics of all the various stages.

I appreciate the encouragement. I'm looking forward to more.

Also, a few little tidbits (probably old news for you guys) - I've found these to be helpful. First, I've kept track of the banks where I bought all their halves. My plan is to go back and clean them out about once per year. Second, when I go out of town to larger cities, I've found that I always do better in the banks in the more 'economically disadvantaged' portions of town. Not sure exactly why that is, but it sure seems to be the case. My daughter proposed that a half dollar to poor people represents 50 cents - no more, no less. Lastly, I made up some simple business cards that I give to the more friendly tellers. The cards say that I'm a coin collector interested mainly in large dollar coins and half dollars. I've gotten several good batches of coins that way.

I hope that's helpful.

Phillip

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread