Birthday Halves

Scott (Mich)

Mar 23, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, my wife just called and she was a bit peeved at the bank. She went up to our local bank to buy me some halves to search through but she was a bit irritated when she opened the roll to get a first look and then she saw that they were foreign, or most of them anyways. She called me to see if I still wanted them before she took them back to the bank to complain.

Seems that there were many foreign coins and she started to read off some of the dates..1973, 1901, 1862, etc. and when I got excited she refused to tell me any more as they were suppose to be a birthday surprise gift for me today :love9: . I believe that they will turn out to be British large cents but to me they are worth more then the 50 cents each. Heck since they are a birthday gift so they are free to me anyways.

I told her to go back up there and buy any others but she said they had no more. So I do not know right now if she bought just one roll or more.

I'll post a picture of whatever they are. Hopefully worth the price of price of the half's they replaced.

Upvote 0

Xiao en

Jan 30, 2012
Yourtown
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Happy Birthday Scott, are you 29 again?? or not yet??

Good luck on your ?? roll/s and waiting for pics cant wait to see what you find with those old dates.

That Canadian Guy

Sep 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
perhaps commemoratives and just old designs such as barbers and seated liberties. They look very foreign to some people.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow , I can hardly wait to see what she scored for you !!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!.
Argentium.

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
Scott (Mich) said:
Well, my wife just called and she was a bit peeved at the bank. She went up to our local bank to buy me some halves to search through but she was a bit irritated when she opened the roll to get a first look and then she saw that they were foreign, or most of them anyways. She called me to see if I still wanted them before she took them back to the bank to complain.

Seems that there were many foreign coins and she started to read off some of the dates..1973, 1901, 1862, etc. and when I got excited she refused to tell me any more as they were suppose to be a birthday surprise gift for me today :love9: . I believe that they will turn out to be British large cents but to me they are worth more then the 50 cents each. Heck since they are a birthday gift so they are free to me anyways.

I told her to go back up there and buy any others but she said they had no more. So I do not know right now if she bought just one roll or more.

I'll post a picture of whatever they are. Hopefully worth the price of price of the half's they replaced.

They can't all be British pennies if 1973 was in there, the last pre-decimal British penny was dated 1967 (along with 1970 but they were only produced for proof sets) any pennies dated later are the small sized decimal issues (slightly larger than a US cent)

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Generic_Lad said:
Scott (Mich) said:

They can't all be British pennies if 1973 was in there, the last pre-decimal British penny was dated 1967 (along with 1970 but they were only produced for proof sets) any pennies dated later are the small sized decimal issues (slightly larger than a US cent)

Maybe the coins were not all the same.

OP
OP
Scott (Mich)

Scott (Mich)

Mar 23, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, I got home to find out she had put everything in a giant plastic Hershey's Syrup bank. Took everything out and found these. She ended up getting me $120 in halves. These coins were all in one roll marked "foreign". All the rest of the halves were clad with the only keeper being a 2003. She had a few dollars worth of nickels and cents which I have not had a chance to go through yet.

The oldest date I can read is 1862 on the large British pennies. I really like the Canadian 1859 penny too, so that is now my oldest CRH find. I find it amazing that someone would turn these in to a bank. Well worth the ten dollars she spent on them, well to me anyways.

edit. Second row from top, second from left. Year I was born. Have not been 29 in a long time :) Thanks all.

Attachments

• CRH02-14-12obv.jpg
    CRH02-14-12obv.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 581
  • CRH02-14-12rev.jpg
    CRH02-14-12rev.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 574

Xiao en

Jan 30, 2012
Yourtown
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds Scott!! Hope you had a great birthday. Good Luck hunting today.

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
Ok, for the key dates of the British pennies, you should look for

1869, 1871, 1875H, ('H' below date). 1895 with no sea. 1902 with low tide. 1912H ('H' Next to date). 1918H ('H' Next to date). 1918KN ('KN' Next to date). 1919H ('H' Next to date). 1919KN ('KN' Next to date). 1926 with newer head type. 1950. 1951. 1954*.

The mintmarks are a bit hard to see, especially on a well worn coin like on your bun heads,

bp1875H-rev.gif

But that is an example of the 1875H, the H standing for the Heston mint.

This is an example of the 1918 KN penny, KN standing for Kings Norton Metal Co.

1918KN_Penny_A.jpg

Also, keep in mind that the bun head pennies (young Queen Victoria) have several varieties and people collect them similar to VAMs on Morgan dollars, so it might be worth to search Google and see if there are any interesting varieties you have.

Also, look at http://www.calgarycoin.com/modern/cdcent.htm for more information about your 1859 cent.

OP
OP
Scott (Mich)

Scott (Mich)

Mar 23, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for information GL, now I got some research to do.

bartholomewroberts

Feb 23, 2011
Cedar, B.C.
Detector(s) used
excal2, XP Deus, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Generic_Lad said:
Ok, for the key dates of the British pennies, you should look for

1869, 1871, 1875H, ('H' below date). 1895 with no sea. 1902 with low tide. 1912H ('H' Next to date). 1918H ('H' Next to date). 1918KN ('KN' Next to date). 1919H ('H' Next to date). 1919KN ('KN' Next to date). 1926 with newer head type. 1950. 1951. 1954*.

The mintmarks are a bit hard to see, especially on a well worn coin like on your bun heads,

bp1875H-rev.gif

But that is an example of the 1875H, the H standing for the Heston mint.

This is an example of the 1918 KN penny, KN standing for Kings Norton Metal Co.

1918KN_Penny_A.jpg

Also, keep in mind that the bun head pennies (young Queen Victoria) have several varieties and people collect them similar to VAMs on Morgan dollars, so it might be worth to search Google and see if there are any interesting varieties you have.

Also, look at http://www.calgarycoin.com/modern/cdcent.htm for more information about your 1859 cent.

Probably just a typo... what with the `s`being so close to the à`.. But it is the Heaton mintmark

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Scott (Mich) said:
Ok, I got home to find out she had put everything in a giant plastic Hershey's Syrup bank. Took everything out and found these. She ended up getting me $120 in halves. These coins were all in one roll marked "foreign". All the rest of the halves were clad with the only keeper being a 2003. She had a few dollars worth of nickels and cents which I have not had a chance to go through yet.

The oldest date I can read is 1862 on the large British pennies. I really like the Canadian 1859 penny too, so that is now my oldest CRH find. I find it amazing that someone would turn these in to a bank. Well worth the ten dollars she spent on them, well to me anyways.

edit. Second row from top, second from left. Year I was born. Have not been 29 in a long time :) Thanks all.

Can you give me a list of the dates of the British pennies? I have a Krause book and can tell you the values as many have expensive varieties. I also attached a picture of the Krause page with the Canada cent coin.

Attachments

• canada.JPG
    canada.JPG
    206 KB · Views: 446

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool coins. Congrats and Happy Birthday. Funny, everytime I see coins like that, I think it's a guy in a wheelchair. :laughing9:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread