What is the best for silver dimes or Halves?

n8dagr8345

Oct 25, 2011
Rubber room
Primary Interest:
Other
Depends on your area!

There is no answer to this hobby-

Some people find silver in dimes, others in halves, some in both, some in NEITHER-

As I've said before, hit the pavement and find out for yourself-
N8

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
good luck with the boxes.

I don't weigh my silver - I just face it, but I'm just curious what is the 20 ozt of fine silver you're hoping to find this year? Or maybe that's not a CRHing goal. Just curious. :)

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Depends on how much time you want to put into it.

Dimes: Pluses - Most banks have boxes on hand.. no need to order. Clear wrap is easy to search. Consistent producers.

Minuses - 5 90% dimes = 1 90%er half dollar.

Halves: Pluses - Opportunity for coins worth more due to larger Ag weight. Not as consistent as dimes but in some areas of the country, they're very consistent and great.

Minuses - Takes more time to go through them than dimes. You have to order them and pick up or they will not longer do it for you.

OP
OP
T

TakeDownTick50

Feb 5, 2012
Houston, TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SilverFace said:
good luck with the boxes.

I don't weigh my silver - I just face it, but I'm just curious what is the 20 ozt of fine silver you're hoping to find this year? Or maybe that's not a CRHing goal. Just curious. :)

No that's not a CRH goal, I was planning on purchasing some silver rounds over the year.

seinfeld4077

Mar 19, 2011
california
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 250, pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i found 2 1964 kennedys in my first box, and nothing in the last 4 i did, now i stick to dimes

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amen to what N8 said...

You have to go out there and see what's better in your area.

Also, if you can dump in a coin counter, dimes can be good. It's about that time of year tho where all the solid boxes of 2012s come out which is always annoying.

I love halves, personally... you'll never find a solid box of 2012s; and a few of them add up to a good bit of silver.

You'll find the people who find the silver consistently in this hobby are the ones who work the hardest (and have a bit of luck).

HH
BB

captainfwiffo

May 11, 2011
Southwest Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends on your area. In my area, silver is basically gone from halves, at least for boxes. I find about 1 40% for every 6-7 boxes I look through. I don't know why I really bother. There are people doing quarters with a better average.

When banks have loose halves it's a different story, so I always ask. Sometimes customer wrapped rolls are good - usually they're somebody's dumps, but about 1 out of 10 times they have a bunch of silver. Almost all my silver halves have been from loose or customer wrapped.

Dimes I consistently get 1-2 silver per box. I had 5 in a box recently (counting a silver Canadian). I actually find Mercury dimes more often than I get silver halves of any kind from boxes.

Actually, in terms of ASW, I get about as much from nickels. However, 35% silver sells at a big discount vs. 90%, and they take longer to sort, so dimes are a better bet if silver is your main goal.

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
When in doubt apply a little science

This week I search $3000 in dimes and found 24 silver dimes

That is about equal to finding 5 90% or 12 40% half dollar in 6 boxes of half dollars.

For me, my last 6 boxes where all shunks, I still buy loose halves and CWR.

Whatever your buget is, divide it amoung dimes and halves and see what produces more.

huricanesrul

Jan 1, 2012
PA
Detector(s) used
explorer xs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow....is it just the silver ...the collecting or the hunt ?? 1 box of dimes this week....1 1936 mercury ! ! ! 1 box nickels last week....3 buffalos. my kid found 16 dimes in 2 boxes in november. dimes are quick...... easy to carry out of the bank....and easy to return/ dump . halves are easy to go through......heavy.....and u have to order them and wait a week . dime i sometimes go through , dump then go to the next bank, dump and repeat 4 to5 times before i get to me ordered 4 boxes . u can order $ 1000 in dimes ( 4 boxes ) from1 bank... $ 1000 in haves ( 2 boxes ) from another , basically have a couple banks order so every day u have boxes .

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
MIhunter said:
When in doubt apply a little science

This week I search $3000 in dimes and found 24 silver dimes

That is about equal to finding 5 90% or 12 40% half dollar in 6 boxes of half dollars.

For me, my last 6 boxes where all shunks, I still buy loose halves and CWR.

Whatever your buget is, divide it amoung dimes and halves and see what produces more.

Those are very good averages per dimes. I usually average a little more than 1 dime per $500 worth. Around from what I recall 1.16 per $500 according to the math I did for last year.

It all depends on your area. If you in the northeast, silver is still very much out there in those halves boxes. It's dried up quickly out here.

Of course, you know as I say this and we discuss about the pluses of dimes, those could be the next to go. Soon lurkers here start ordering tons of boxes of dimes.. more than halves boxes. LOL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions