The one that got away, 1982 no p dime

agrip24

Feb 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I just started crh and this is my story.

My first day of CRH so i get a box of dimes. I looked around and saw i should be looking for pre 1964 silver, 1996 w and 1982 no p (proof).

What do you know, i found a 1982 no p and take it out and look at it and look it up online, i saw one on ebay for $150 but thought that couldn't be my coin because mine wasn't a proof, (not really knowing what a proof was at the time) it must have something that mine doesn't so i tossed it back into the pile. Now about 8 boxes of dimes later I still have not seen another no mark 1982 and since learned what a proof coin is. I have realized I am a huge idiot. The worst part is I knew i was looking for. I did end up with one silver from the box so i guess the box was a win.

Any other certain years or mint marks i should be looking for on dimes?

Thanks

Upvote 0

TakeDownTick50

Feb 5, 2012
Houston, TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are many different dates you might want to look for. You should think about buying a Red book. It lists all the key dates and errors along with a lot of others stuff.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Is there any way you can go back to your dump bank and ask for your dumps back? That's the first thing I would do. From what I recall I read that there was a mistake and most of them were found by one guy that had a bunch of them (he something like a couple thousand of them). My guess is prehaps, he got a box of them from the bank (like the ones we get when they're all new). Lucky guy, he could sell those dimes all one by one. It's been a while since I last read about it. If someone has more accurate info on this, that'd be great.

srcdco

Dec 11, 2006
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Nox-800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The mintage (estimated) was very low for the 1982 no mintmark dimes, typically listed as no more than 25,000 and I've seen reports stating that the mintage was closer to 15,000. The reason that the die never got a mintmark was that it was cracked and was never supposed to be used. You can see the crack from Roosevelt's head to the rim. Because of that, the die didn't last very long once it was put into production. It was estimated that most, if not all, of the mintage was sent to the Cleveland Federal Reserve Bank. From there, most of them ended up at Cedar Point amusement park in Sandusky, Ohio. I was fortunate to find two of them back in 1983 in the Jamestown, NY area, where many people from Ohio vacation in the summer. I've since found another one in the last couple of years.

Scott

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread