How far would you drive to dump at a coin machine?

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
free "bank type" or a coinstar "fee type" ? -- I guessing free -- i do not know of anyplace closeby that has a "free coin counting machine" locally --theres several for a "fee" type machines in the area ( I always check the reject slot for "rejected" coins, foreign coins and silver :thumbsup:)

That Canadian Guy

Sep 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
I just found out yesterday that there are two coin machines in my city. The nearest one is 9km away. I am going to check it out tomorrow but I don't think it will be my regular dump bank as it is far away from my usual pickup and dump banks and I have re-rolling down to a system that doesn't take long. So to answer the question I wouldn't drive very far for a coin machine.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
coincrawlin said:
I know some folks probably have access to one in their back yard, but for those who don't, how far are you willing to drive for the convenience of using a coin machine?

depends, on how much you'd be able to dump at once.

bartholomewroberts

Feb 23, 2011
Cedar, B.C.
Detector(s) used
excal2, XP Deus, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That Canadian Guy said:
I just found out yesterday that there are two coin machines in my city. The nearest one is 9km away. I am going to check it out tomorrow but I don't think it will be my regular dump bank as it is far away from my usual pickup and dump banks and I have re-rolling down to a system that doesn't take long. So to answer the question I wouldn't drive very far for a coin machine.

No close machine in my area.... if anywhere at all here.

I just re-roll and take them back to my dump bank and sometimes my regular bank... But I only do maybe a grand or so every 10 days... So not as much as some here. Wish I could do more.... but the distances are too great

OP
OP
coincrawlin

coincrawlin

Sep 13, 2010
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ivan salis said:
free "bank type" or a coinstar "fee type" ? -- I guessing free -- i do not know of anyplace closeby that has a "free coin counting machine" locally --theres several for a "fee" type machines in the area ( I always check the reject slot for "rejected" coins, foreign coins and silver :thumbsup:)

I'm referring to the free bank type coin machines. I would never pay a fee to dump at any bank or coinstar.

The closest free machine that I know of is a good three hours away. I might drive half that distance to use a machine, but not three hours. But I'd much rather be able to dump $2K in one shot in a machine than spread out rolled coin amongst the few banks I have access to in my area (today was dump day...I'm tired :sleepy2:)

Stang1968

Dec 14, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What would you do for a Klondike bar?

I haven't seen a free coin counting machine down here yet. I know of one at a CU that you can use if you're a member, which I am not. There are CoinStars and some other brand located in virtually every grocery store here though. I'm lucky I guess though as I get to dump in bags at several branches of a national bank.

That Canadian Guy

Sep 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
bartholomewroberts said:
That Canadian Guy said:

No close machine in my area.... if anywhere at all here.

I just re-roll and take them back to my dump bank and sometimes my regular bank... But I only do maybe a grand or so every 10 days... So not as much as some here. Wish I could do more.... but the distances are too great
That sounds similar to the way I do my hunting. I also wish I could do more but between school and winter I am bogged down. My preferred way to travel is by bicycle as driving costs gas which costs money but during the winter I can't bike so my hunting is limited to driving or walking. I am able to make do for now but during summer break that is prime hunting season for me, then I could do 1 box a day 5 days a week.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Judging from those stories of dump machines shorting people makes me not want one. There was a time, I thought was convenient but not if the machine shorts you. What's one to do? Have them take out the coins and have someone manually count it to see who is right you or the machine? Just sounds scary to me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread