I wonder...

F

Farchaus2k

None, I heard from a very good source that Loomis began culling all Wheat Cents in Oklahoma beginning in January.

dspeer83

Greenie
Feb 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm from Oklahoma, went through a box of pennies yesterday and snagged 10 wheaties from it. If that is true then I guess my wheat ratio will start to dwindle. :(

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Farchaus2k said:
None, I heard from a very good source that Loomis began culling all Wheat Cents in Oklahoma beginning in January.

Please give him his leg back...

n8dagr8345

Oct 25, 2011
Rubber room
Primary Interest:
Other
Farchaus2k said:
I heard the same thing from a guy out there. Except they are doing it in all of federal reserve district 10.

BCD11

Oct 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
n8dagr8345 said:
Farchaus2k said:
I heard the same thing from a guy out there. Except they are doing it in all of federal reserve district 10.

Maybe a silly question...how are they pulling just the wheats?

Coin Mech engineer says their comparitors won't consistently detect wheats. In his opinion, optical recognition is the way to go but at this time cost could be prohibitive.

Human eyeballing is a possibility but with the volume of pennies the services handle it seems like it would take an army of eyeballers. Even if they were temporary employees at minimum wage it seems it would still be an expensive chore. And, as my wife mentioned, efficiency would head downhill during the work period as boredom set in, making it even more expensive per wheat found.

Anyone have an idea how they are profitably culling just wheats?

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Minelab eTrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Farchaus2k said:

pull my other leg, it plays Jingle Bells :tongue3:

F

Farchaus2k

BCD11 said:
Maybe a silly question...how are they pulling just the wheats?

I have it on good authority that Loomis has developed the Wheatomatic3000, which is now sorting through all pennies that come into Loomis in Oklahoma. The main goal is to corner the market on Wheats first in that market, and eventually by 2nd Quarter of 2014 all market that Loomis serves.

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It uses a compartomitor in conjunction with an optitron to sort out the wheats. It also separates out the rare varieties and errors. Expensive technology but sure to pay off.

BCD11

Oct 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
namster said:
It uses a compartomitor in conjunction with an optitron to sort out the wheats. It also separates out the rare varieties and errors. Expensive technology but sure to pay off.

I thought you were REALLY yanking my chain with "compartomitor" and "optitron" until I searched them. Seems there is an optitron lighting system and a comparometer used to compare digital imagery.

Still sounds like a chain yank to me but, interesting nonetheless :wink: AND I learned something.

F

Farchaus2k

namster said:

:icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread