Half Dollars 2002-Current ?

dspeer83

Greenie
Feb 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys, just started going through my first 2 boxes of halves ever. So far I have found and 04, 05, and 05 s. I know to hold onto anything with an s mintmark, my question is should I hold onto everything from 2002 to current? I am only 2 rolls into the first box and already have these, just wanted to double check that I should hold onto them. Thanks for any info.

Upvote 0

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its entirely up to you. We have debated the subject several times on this forum if you'd like to have a look at some old posts on the subject. If you do, you will read compelling arguments on both sides of the issue.

The mintage numbers on the NIFC halves are indeed fairly low. However, at present time there isn't any real demand for them. The 1987 half was also NIFC. 25 years later there still is no real demand for those either. I suspect the same will hold true for the more recent NIFC as well. I kept them all when I first began. I soon realized that they are not uncommon at all to find. I decided to just keep a couple of each date and mintmark for my personal collection and release the rest. Otherwise, I'd already have close to $1000 tied up in NIFC coins that I just don't think that will appreciate in value in my lifetime...at the very least not enough to warrant holding onto them for 30-50 years+. At any rate, I believe there are better ways to "spend" the money that you will tie up in NIFC halves if profit is your motive.

Of course, I could be wrong. Use your own judgement.

cooper36

Nov 30, 2011
east coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would hold onto the s mint mark ones and a few of the other dates the rest see if you can trade for silver :thumbsup:

cbrtriple8

Aug 11, 2011
dspeer83 said:
Hey guys, just started going through my first 2 boxes of halves ever. So far I have found and 04, 05, and 05 s. I know to hold onto anything with an s mintmark, my question is should I hold onto everything from 2002 to current? I am only 2 rolls into the first box and already have these, just wanted to double check that I should hold onto them. Thanks for any info.

Keep them all!! They are NIFC, and worth $$$. :headbang:
Also keep all the 1971d and 1977d , as some were struck in silver composition by error.. :headbang: :headbang:

OP
OP
D

dspeer83

Greenie
Feb 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the info/suggestions. I ended up with six from 2002-current as well as a 1964, 68, 74s, and 05s.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cbrtriple8 said:
dspeer83 said:

Also keep all the 1971d and 1977d , as some were struck in silver composition by error.. :headbang: :headbang:
I hope you're kidding. If so, please don't mislead new members.

Texas silverbug

Jan 11, 2012
Just plain lost.
Primary Interest:
Other
enamel7 said:
cbrtriple8 said:
dspeer83 said:

Good call enamel7. I have went to the red book and online and have never heard that before.

cbrtriple8

Aug 11, 2011
Texas Silverbug said:
enamel7 said:
cbrtriple8 said:
dspeer83 said:

Good call enamel7. I have went to the red book and online and have never heard that before.
Umm, please go over your redbook again, under the Kennedy halves Section, read the Intro , it stated -
" A few of the pieces dated 1971-d and 1977-d were struck in silver clad composition by error. "
:headbang: :headbang:

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cbrtriple8 said:
Texas Silverbug said:
enamel7 said:
cbrtriple8 said:
dspeer83 said:

Umm, please go over your redbook again, under the Kennedy halves Section, read the Intro , it stated -
" A few of the pieces dated 1971-d and 1977-d were struck in silver clad composition by error. "
Yes it says that. A few. You told the OP to keep ALL of them.

cbrtriple8

Aug 11, 2011
enamel7 said:
cbrtriple8 said:
Texas Silverbug said:
enamel7 said:
cbrtriple8 said:
dspeer83 said:

Yes it says that. A few. You told the OP to keep ALL of them.
Of course to keep them all, and weigh them later and see if they are Ag or not. That's what I'd do, to save time. :laughing7: Just like how I save all the 74-Ds and check them later for Doubled Die. It'll take forever to check for other error while hunting for Ag.
:sleepy2: :sleepy2:

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kevinbomb123 said:
I get .60 each at my local dealer,with 3-4 per box it adds up quick.

Thats great! :icon_thumleft:

Is your dealer speculating that they will increase in value over time, or is he reselling them now for a profit? If he's reselling, I'd be very curious to know how much he gets for them.

Texas silverbug

Jan 11, 2012
Just plain lost.
Primary Interest:
Other
@cbrtriple8

My mistake, must have been late. I did reread my redbook and found where it said a few were struck by error. Can you tell me the weight so I can weigh them?

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Texas Silverbug said:
@cbrtriple8

My mistake, must have been late. I did reread my redbook and found where it said a few were struck by error. Can you tell me the weight so I can weigh them?

You don't have to weigh them, and that isn't foolproof anyway. Weights (and scales for that matter) can vary and there is less than 1/3 gram difference between what a clad half and 40%er are supposed to weigh. Just by playing around with a scale I've seen several clad halfs that weigh as much as a 40%er is supposed to weigh, and 40%ers that aren't worn at all weigh in as light as a clad half.

Silver will most likely look like silver. Regardless, it will always sound like silver. For the record though, I believe a clad half is "supposed" to weigh 11.2g, 40% should weigh in at 11.5g, and 90% halves at 12.5. I think that is accurate. If its not, I'm sure someone will chime in.

Texas silverbug

Jan 11, 2012
Just plain lost.
Primary Interest:
Other
ArkieBassMan said:
Texas Silverbug said:
@cbrtriple8

You don't have to weigh them, and that isn't foolproof anyway. Weights (and scales for that matter) can vary and there is less than 1/3 gram difference between what a clad half and 40%er are supposed to weigh. Just by playing around with a scale I've seen several clad halfs that weigh as much as a 40%er is supposed to weigh, and 40%ers that aren't worn at all weigh in as light as a clad half.

Silver will most likely look like silver. Regardless, it will always sound like silver. For the record though, I believe a clad half is "supposed" to weigh 11.2g, 40% should weigh in at 11.5g, and 90% halves at 12.5. I think that is accurate. If its not, I'm sure someone will chime in.

I have seen some that look like silver, yet they all weigh the same as you descibed. Gonna be tough, so I will just continue looking for my silver..:) Thank you for your reply.
Gary

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread