Penny Roll Hunting Help

Sterling in Va

Feb 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I need some help . . . I got into Coin Roll Hunting a few months now. Currently I have gone through-
$130 in Nickels - no War nickels and no Buffalo nickels, nothing older than 1940
$75 in Dimes - no silver
and $50 in Pennies - 8 wheats - oldest is 1916

I was just wondering if these were normal totals, or if I am just having some bad luck. When I look on Youtube, I see people pulling out 20 wheats in a box, easily. Now I only search customer rolls, so I was wondering if this had anything to do with it. Please tell me if these are normal totals, or if not, what is. I'm getting really tired of searching 2,500 pennies, finding 3 wheats, and having to re-roll them all because there are no coin counters at the banks in my area. Thanks.

Upvote 0

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Some areas are better than others. I average 3-5 wheats per box. Re-rolling cents? You have to be out of your mind. Dimes - you need to up your volume. Out of $250, I average 1-2. Nickels, I don't bother.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing abnormal in your totals yet as honestly you haven't done enough of any denomination to figure an "average" for your area. You need to do at least 10 times the amounts you have tried so far. 100 would be better. Lots of skunks in CRHing. It takes lots of patience.

Gooseman

Dec 14, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Patience will serve you well, you might want to consider doing more dimes if you have to reroll your cents.

Jeff

Xiao en

Jan 30, 2012
Yourtown
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Sterling,

as others have suggested up your volume a little bit, the more coins that pass thru your hands the more chance you have to find what you are looking for.

Take the good boxes with the bad and keep hunting with a smile.

Rascal

Feb 5, 2012
Western Arizona
Detector(s) used
Number 1 Mark II Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Other
As of today I am on approx. my 3rd box of nickels (loose rolls) and have found 2 war nickels to date, the 2nd being in the very first roll I cracked today. I don't expect a lot out of them as I am trying to build a set. Fortunately they are different dates so both fit into the overall collection.

Dimes? I could wish. One out of perhaps 4 boxes worth of rolls.

Rascal

BCD11

Oct 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
I average 10 - 25 wheats per $25 Brinks box.

I don't know how you count/roll your coins but, you might consider a coin counting tube with the small tray on top or a simple electric counter/roller readily available on eBay or Amazon. I started out with one of the tubes and confirmed the count by weighing the coin roll. It was work but a lot faster than hand counting. If you go the counter/roller route be sure to read the reviews. Some/many of the cheaper machines won't stand up to the workload of CRH.

After trying the plastic tube counter I wired $4.95 counters to the optics on my IGT S2000 coin sorters (with help from madwest, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!). You'd need a lot of small cotainers to hold 50 coins apiece but you could count a boatload of pennies FAST ;D

A LONG time ago, mid-1960's, my dad would bring home four $50 bags of parking meter pennies every Wednesday. The bank was happy to sell them to us on the condition the coins would be rolled if we brought them back. Off and on over the next seven days one to four of us would sit at a card table sorting, counting and rolling the pennies. We were able to find all of the Lincolns, except the S VDB and '14-D, to fill multiple Whitman folders. Ah-h-h the good old days; in some ways they were better than today. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread