Ice Cream Truck Hunting

kennedyfan

Jul 22, 2011
Detector(s) used
Bank Tellers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few months ago, I asked the local ice cream truck driver if he could look out for funny coins like half dollars and big dollars for me.

Even though the weather has been good, I've missed him coming down my street the last few times. But I saw him elsewhere in town, and he said he'd be coming by my house, and that he had accumulated a bunch of coins for me.

Today he came by, and sold me $35 face value in half dollars. Hey, not bad, considering he's doing the work! There wasn't anything particularly special, but I did get a 40% half, so it was definitely not a skunk!

Hopefully over the Spring and Summer months, he'll be accumulating more. And he's happy to save them for me - he's a very nice guy. I'm hoping some kids will raid their grandpa's coin collection.*

* OK, I actually don't hope that happens. That would be horrible for the coin collector. But if it happens, I would rather that the coins end up in the hands of somebody who can appreciate them, and not just get deposited. You know what I'm talking about. :-)

Upvote 0

SilverSharpie

Mar 16, 2012
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
But if it happens, I would rather that the coins end up in the hands of somebody who can appreciate them, and not just get deposited.

I think in the end, the silver coins always end up in the hands of people who appreciate them. They change hands until someone pulls it and adds it to their collection. Said collection may get raided, then tossed around until its picked up by another someone who appreciates it.

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
I do that same stuff! I am 15, and don't go chasing after the ice cream truck with silver coins, but my dad knows the dude that runs the ice cream truck in the summer, and i have gotten alot of nice coins out of there. Wheat pennies, Franklin halves silver quarters, even got a morgan dollar once! I also hit the local ice cream place during the summer quite often last year and got some nice halves, but only 1 40 %.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread