proof question

98 gt

Oct 5, 2006
usually mintmark, depends on the coin though, most recent s mint coin is s proof.

OP
OP
bomber

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
where do i check on the coin?

98 gt

Oct 5, 2006
depends on the coin, usually near the date you will see a letter P, D, or an S. looking through a book like the red book.
2007%20red%20book.jpg

coolcash2004

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Hi Bomber, if you have a question just PM me and you will recieve and answer that same day. :)

A proof coin can usually be distinguished by its look and by the mintmark. A proof coin has an "S" mintmark. Proofs are also double struck so nice ones you can see your reflection in. Here are some proof VS. regular half dollar examples. However, a worn proof can often not look proof like so you must check the mint mark aswell...

Proof = pic 1

Regular = pic 2

Attachments

• DSCF2319.JPG
    DSCF2319.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 252
  • DSCF2179.JPG
    DSCF2179.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 245
  • DSCF2319.JPG
    DSCF2319.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 248
  • DSCF2179.JPG
    DSCF2179.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 249

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Proof is a method of manufacturing. Each coin is made from polished blanks and polished dies, usually struck several times. They are handled individually to prevent any marks. In short, they are absolutely the best coin a mint can possibly produce.

One way to scan for proofs is to look at the sides when you break open a roll, as you scan for silver, also look for any rim that appears to be thicker than the rest. Also, the corners of the rims will be sharper, more square than a regular issue.

Very few proof coins were produced prior to 1856.

Frosted proofs were made prior to 1936 and resumed in the late 70's. These coins have mirror like backgrounds and frosty designs.

Brilliant proofs have been issued from 1936 to date. These have the mirrorlike background and sharp, high relief details.

Sets have been produced from 1936 through 1967, (with a few years exceptions) at the Philidelphia mint. From 1968 on all proofs have been produced at either the San Francisco or West Point mints.

Most of this info came from the Red Book- a very good general source for info on many American coins.

MalteseFalcon

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2005
Simple Explanation.....looks like date, all lettering, and JFKs head with a mirror background.

I also wondered how I would know.

Then I found my first one.

It was VERY obvious.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeffro said:
One way to scan for proofs is to look at the sides when you break open a roll, as you scan for silver, also look for any rim that appears to be thicker than the rest. Also, the corners of the rims will be sharper, more square than a regular issue.

I do this to find my proofs. They stick out like a sore thumb unless they are extremely worn from being in circulation for too long. But by the time they become that worn they don't really hold proof value anymore.

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains
bscofield6 said:
Jeffro said:

I do this to find my proofs. They stick out like a sore thumb unless they are extremely worn from being in circulation for too long. But by the time they become that worn they don't really hold proof value anymore.

Thank you for that info Brian. That is something I did not know about the proofs. I have not found one yet, or atleast I don't think I have, but that answer you gave is a big help in checking.

Postalrevnant

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bomber,
Trust me.

You will Know when you see it.
if you think it might be, it's not.

There will be NO Doubt.

It will be the Most Polished, Sharp Detail,
coin you have ever seen.

Ask "Will.Dig.For.Food" ;)
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,50261.0.html

Almost Mirror like or The Detail will be Frosted to stand out from
the Mirror Image. if it is a Frosted Proof.

If it has been in circulation long enough to loose its
Eye appeal, it is no longer a proof.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread