DC area hunters

n8dagr8345

Oct 25, 2011
Rubber room
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey folks-
Those of you that hunt in Northern VA and around DC(i know there are plenty of you)... What are your silver numbers looking like?
I do big volume and have had a sharp decline in silver- I am riding about 4 silver out of the last 30 or so boxes. 2 different carriers are now clad piles....

Any similar trends your way?
N8

Upvote 0

Terp08

Apr 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My numbers have been looking pretty nice. I have increased my small volume to "big" volume in the past couple months and have nearly tripled my findings. I went through some skunks a month ago but after I got past 20 boxes, the last 50 boxes have been pretty nice.

Seeing the finds in your signature and I would say you have things figured out. Must have a really good source and really good dump bank

Terp08

Apr 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Capital One ordered boxes for me this week anyway. They told me they would continue to do it until they were told from higher up not to and if they were told not to they would ask about continuing it with a fee. Gotta love good branches!

midntmn

Dec 15, 2011
one of the 13 colonies
Primary Interest:
Other
Dunbar supplies several of the the banks I order from. Almost all have been 4015's for what seems like the past month. Maybe close to 60 boxes. Most have been skunks. A few have had 1, 2 or 3 silvers.

Last edited:

midntmn

Dec 15, 2011
one of the 13 colonies
Primary Interest:
Other
I use Capitol One for some of my pick ups. Get a few each week. Thay have not told me of any restrictions. They actually gave me 2 extra boxes this week and said I could up my order if I wanted. May be a Branch to Branch this - or maybe my manager just hasn't seen the memo yet.

midntmn

Dec 15, 2011
one of the 13 colonies
Primary Interest:
Other
We may be getting a little break in the ice in NOVA..... All my Dunbar boxes are still 4015, but I am starting to find a few god coins. Today I found an Old English Penny. To me, foreign coins in the rolls are a good sign because they are probably not coming from someone's dump. Also found 4 90% and 5 40% in 5 boxes searched so far this week, plus 1 clad proof that someone had given Kennedy black hair and a goatee.

bblair

Dec 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
My boxes have improved a little as well in MD. Last weeks 3 boxes gave me 3 90% and 14 40%. I've done 2 out of the 3 so far this week, one skunk and the other had 1 90% (a real shiny '54 Franklin) and 4 40%. We'll see what the 3rd box holds tomorrow. But things have improved. I haven't had a code on my boxes since late March.

sack0silver

Feb 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Then I am out of luck, all my capital one supply banks cut me off and other branches i called told me the same thing. i personally know one of the vault tellers that ordered for me so i am pretty sure hes not just BSing to me to make me stop getting boxes, since he knows i wouldnt order from his bank if it caused him any issues. anyways booooooooo. Still havent gotten around to try other banks, but I am enjoying a break in not having to deal with pick up dump dump dump pick up etc...it was becoming irritating, especially with the limited finds lately.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
I am enjoying a break in not having to deal with pick up dump dump dump pick up etc...it was becoming irritating, especially with the limited finds lately.

Some people dream of success... while others wake up and work hard at it. ~Author Unknown

hyperHunter

Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some people dream of success... while others wake up and work hard at it. ~Author Unknown

I wish I had that mind set when I was at your age instead of running around chasing girls. You will have bright future, buddy.

hyperHunter

Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am enjoying a break in not having to deal with pick up dump dump dump pick up etc...it was becoming irritating, especially with the limited finds lately.

I hear you, my friend. I was there before. It was funny I had a dream few weeks ago that I gave up the hobby completely and was chilling out on a beautiful beach. It was in the middle of the week when I pushed myself beyond the limit just only to get crappy results. Try some CWRs during your break from boxes (It'll be like pick up pick up pick up dump pick up etc...). I hit a decent CWR batch last week. The results were better than that of my best box. You will be in withdrawal mode pretty quick without having anything to search. There's no turn back for this hobby. Good luck!!

sack0silver

Feb 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other

Well in terms of success, I would say my time is better off spent on other ventures that can be far more profitable. CHRing simply was a fun way to stack some silver and just chill out. Having had too much money getting tied up in boxes ended up leading to increasing opportunity costs so this is probably for the best. I am not done with this, just want to take a break, take care of some other things, and formulate my new plan of attack by finding new pick-ups and dumps. Enjoy the increased supply of skunk boxes. :tongue3:

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

This does not apply to coin roll hunting IMO. No matter how hard you work at it the silver is either there or it is not, harder work and dedication does turn skunks into dream boxes. Despite what we all may think, there is very little skill involved in this endeavor outside dump strategy's. It would be foolish to spend more than spot on the costs of CRHing (gas, wear/tear on vehicle, etc). Also, there is the cost of your time. If you consistently average less than one coin/box you would be better off buying at spot.

Some people live where silver is, others do not. -namster

Last edited:

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
This does not apply to coin roll hunting IMO. No matter how hard you work at it the silver is either there or it is not, harder work and dedication does turn skunks into dream boxes. Despite what we all may think, there is very little skill involved in this endeavor outside dump strategy's. It would be foolish to spend more than spot on the costs of CRHing (gas, wear/tear on vehicle, etc). Also, there is the cost of your time. If you consistently average less than one coin/box you would be better off buying at spot.

Some people live where silver is, others do not. -namster

You are more likely to get more, if you search more. If you search 2 boxes a week, because you don't feel like doing a lot, you won't find much silver. However, if you do 50 boxes a week, and have a very tight schedule that requires work, you will get more silver. On the other hand, Phoenix, AZ has no silver so there it doesn't apply.

midntmn

Dec 15, 2011
one of the 13 colonies
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, I guess you can add NOVA to the Capital One No Fly List. My Cap 1 bank in Alexandria told me today that they can only order boxes of halfs through the end of May. After that, they are not allowed to order any more. Corporate Decision.

Terp08

Apr 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I guess you can add NOVA to the Capital One No Fly List. My Cap 1 bank in Alexandria told me today that they can only order boxes of halfs through the end of May. After that, they are not allowed to order any more. Corporate Decision.

My capital one told me they would order for me anyway and chrage me a fee if they had to. Well their district manager stopped by to tell them that May 30th is the absolute cutoff nationwide. They forgot to order my boxes this week. Should have 2 coming next week and Ill see about getting 8 on my final week before I close my account.

Other pickup bank gave me a box with a code, first coded box Ive had in months. 40% and Walker ender got me excited......only silver in the box. Other box first roll has a 64 and 2 40%s.....also only silvers in the box.....Kinda frustrating because of the tease but Im happy with the results

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since the last post here was in May, I'd love to hear how folks in the DC area are doing these days. I'm in DC and just got started. First box a skunk and second box is on its way. I've asked tellers for loose halves - one teller had none and another teller told me she had $2 worth (she knew without even glancing at her tray, so I wonder if she's picking out silver). Took the $2 worth but was skunked and spent it on a lottery ticket.

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info. One silver in every 2500 doesn't seem like a lot, but I guess you are earning about 1% on each box at today's silver prices, so not that bad.

sagthegreat

Jul 12, 2012
Sterling VA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
ya, but i see everyone else complain when they get 2 dimes per box instead of like 5. And im like, if i were you, 2 dimes in one box would make my day

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I hope to get some volume going in halves to see if I can get over zero per box!

Haven't done any dime boxes yet. I had to carry a box of halves in a backpage for several blocks in downtown DC once - man was it heavy!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread