DC area hunters

n8dagr8345

Oct 25, 2011
Rubber room
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey folks-
Those of you that hunt in Northern VA and around DC(i know there are plenty of you)... What are your silver numbers looking like?
I do big volume and have had a sharp decline in silver- I am riding about 4 silver out of the last 30 or so boxes. 2 different carriers are now clad piles....

Any similar trends your way?
N8

Upvote 0

koala33

Apr 29, 2011
Northeast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been buying rather than sorting through boxes. My main bank switched to Brinks and I didn't find anything in those boxes..

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a terrible idea.

I'm just getting started and will try it a bit longer, but don't know how long I will stick with it if I get a lot of skunks and a 40% half here and there. I've only done one box and it was a skunk. A second box is on order.

Yesterday I scored one 90% half in just $4 worth of loose halves and the woman at the bank I am dealing with said she would keep me in mind for other halves that accumulate at the branch. I'll pursue that and see where it takes me, but going through thousands of halves in boxes may get old quick. I've bought some other loose halves at other banks and a few MWRs, but just the one 90% half so far. If I keep this up I expect I'll find a lot more 40% halves than 90% halves, and in the DC area most buyers only seem interested in the 90% coins.

I'm also in the DC area. Where are you finding your best deals buying coins?

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
If I keep this up I expect I'll find a lot more 40% halves than 90% halves, and in the DC area most buyers only seem interested in the 90% coins.

It is natural there are more 40%. Many hunters used to not keep 40% as they were only worth like 5 cents over face. Also, some hunters (especially older ones) don't know or don't care to keep the 40%.

Dealers are only interested in the purer halves, and 40% don't really interest them.

OP
OP
n8dagr8345

n8dagr8345

Oct 25, 2011
Rubber room
Primary Interest:
Other
My numbers are still low- I have not had much time to find new pickup banks after capital one stopped ordering. I did however, recently come across a few local banks out in the sticks, I am hoping they will be able to increase my silver pile. I SHOULD have 8 boxes coming tomorrow from the first new bank, and the 2nd bank is talking to the managers to see if they can even order the coins to begin with...I also sold off some of my stash today. I need to get ahead on my school loans and thought the price of silver was pretty decent. I sold off only 40%ers and should have a check in the mail by Wednesday!

N8

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's obviously worth it to try new sources for halves and see if numbers improve, but if the local banks are using the same courier companies to order boxes it seems like you would get the same quality of box as you get from the big banks. On the other hand, I think it makes a ton of sense to hit different banks and different branches to score loose halves and CWRs.

OP
OP
n8dagr8345

n8dagr8345

Oct 25, 2011
Rubber room
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes CC I do use different courier companies. I do my 'homework' and definitely shop around. I do not see much point in doing large volume just because you can!
N8

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any suggestions for dump banks in the DC area? I thought PNC would be good but their machines don't take halves now.

OP
OP
n8dagr8345

n8dagr8345

Oct 25, 2011
Rubber room
Primary Interest:
Other
A lot of people just go slow and steady on TD bank. They are all over and if you get in good with the managers, you can get them to adjust the bag size on the counting machine... I have a few banks that have mine set at 500 before it fills(instead of 100). This greatly helps.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread