inspecting your rolls
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

us
    Jan 2006
    DUI
    63 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

inspecting your rolls

when u break open a new roll,do u check each coin or just view it from the side,being a newbie at this i just want to make sure i'm not wasting my time by checking each coin.THANKS
    the dreams of the young are the regrets of the old

us
    Mar 2005
    Vegas
    419 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Re: inspecting your rolls

With halves I check each date because certain dates have errors, some aren't meant to be in circulation and some proofs are so beat up the only way to tell they're proofs is to look for the S mint mark.
    Last appearance in pocket change:

Wheat penny: 1956-D (7/24/19)
    Silver: 1949-D quarter (8/9/19)

us
    Dec 2005
    Eugene, Oregon
    Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
    132 times

I do both- I pull the obvious silver out first by looking at the edges, and the proofs too. Then I scan dates and seperate them according to years for doubled dies. Then I look for the double dies with a loupe. Here's a site with the doubles I look for- http://www.numismedia.com/coinguys/top50kenn.shtml

May 2006
    Pioneer 505
    13 times

If all you do is look at the edges I guarantee that you will miss some silver halves. I have been fooled myself until I turned them and looked at the date.
    2008 Silver Half Totals:
    40% Kennedys:   3
    90% Kennedys:   3
    Franklin Halves:  
    Walking Liberty: 
    Barber Halves:    0

us
    Aug 2006
    McAlester, OK
    8 times

Quote Originally Posted by ringding
    If all you do is look at the edges I guarantee that you will miss some silver halves. I have been fooled myself until I turned them and looked at the date.
    I agree. I remember several times, especially when I first started, that I would look at the edge and say no keepers and then look at each coin and have silver jump out and bite me.

HH
    Mr.T
    "If it ain't broke...take it apart and see how it works"

Aug 2005
    62 times

I check the face of each half as well. One great reason is that there have been times when the edges fooled me.

I would unwrap a roll, hold it in my hand, and look at the edges, only to see no silver.
    Then when going through the roll looking at the dates, I would be suprised to find something from the late 60s (40%).

Aug 2006
    2 times

The first thing i do is listen to the coins. Silver sounds different. Then I check the edges. Then look for the dates and S mint marks.
    2007 Coin Hunting Totals

Indian Cent..........1
    Wheats................75
    War Nickles...........4
    Silver Dimes..........37
    Silver Quarters.......0
    Walking Liberty.......16
    Franklin.................4
    Kennedy 90%........26
    Kennedy 40%.......153
    Proofs...................1

Apr 2006
    Ventura, CA
    LST
    11 times

I look closely at all of my halves younger than 1991. both sides. Those older, I just casually look at. Looking for Proofs or errors of some kind.

Jul 2006
    Mountains
    21 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Agree with afore metioned posts. Looking at sides you can miss some finds. But when it comes to dimes, I gotta admit I am a side looker. Only look at a date when side looks odd. Them dimes make my eyes cross.

Rev

Sponsored Links