New Bank Policies? Should I be paranoid or not?

Kamyu

Oct 25, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey all,

So today I went to my normal pickup bank. Normally I just get 3 boxes of dimes, sometimes the occasional box of halves. Never order, just walk in and ask for em. Generally go in the same day each week and never had any issues.

Anyways, today I went in and they asked for my name and then asked for my driver's license. I do have an account with them. I asked why of course and they told me it was a new computer system they just installed and they had to document transactions including coins even if paid in cash. From what the teller said, I shouldn't have to show my drivers license again now that it's inthe system. Supposedly Chase has implemented something like this as well recently but I can't verify it.

So anyone else run into this? Or should I go all paranoid and stop getting coins from them for a while? Don't think my volume is high enough for a Suspicious activity report. Only 3 boxes of dimes a week.

Upvote 0

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Minelab eTrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My bank did the same thing. Their explanation to me was so they would have my picture on file and that way the tellers would know that I am who I am:)

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am the first to not give out any information when purchasing normal items. A good example, the other day at guitar center I bought a pack of strings and they asked for my phone number address etc. I said no way you're getting all that so I can buy five bucks worth of strings. On top of that I'll show you where you can shove your computer system.

But with banks, I just go along with it all. Better to have pleasant interactions with the tellers so you can keep up the hobby

chatmangreer

Mar 4, 2012
Greer, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with usernameerror, nothing to be paranoid about. It's not illegal. Why would anyone ever think other wise? I've seen a few threads about this kind of thing. Getting jumpy over nothing......

markincypress

Apr 6, 2012
cypress texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab CTX3030, Tesoro Tejon and Sand Shark, Fisher F75-ltd, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone else remember being asked for your phone number when buying batteries at Radio Shack? Or am I telling my age?

sack0silver

Feb 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Consumer privacy is on the way out as has a monetary system based on anything tangible.

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
I've never had this happen to me. Usually the tellers can see my coming across the street from my house, so they get a few boxes of pennies ready XD. Your not doing a large volume, so they shouldnt be suspicious. Banks should know by now what people are doing, and not waste there time "investigating"

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread