Dollar Roll Searching...

simplyAARON

Greenie
May 23, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey there, y'all. I've got a question that some of you may be able to chime in. So other than the obvious varieties (wide rim, cheerio dollar, and other things) is there anything that can be gained by looking through the dollar coins (small ones, not ikes)? I dont mean errors and varieties, I mean valuable oddities that happen to get thrown in the MWR's. Do y'all find gold pieces, or anything else of serious value in there? Currently, I search LOOMIS boxes and I do all denominations, usually 4-5 boxes of each a week. I am curious as to whether I should add the dollar coins to my searches. Hope to get some good feedback!!

Upvote 0

Piledriver

May 21, 2011
To each his own, but I would rather collect green bi-centennial halves than look through even one box of the new dollar coins. Call me hard headed.

But if you can find ANYTHING valuable in boxes of dollar coins, more power to you.

Keep on Rollin' !

Gareb

Sep 10, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think errors and varieties are about the only thing you may find. I started doing about 5-8 rolls for the heck of it a couple of weeks ago. I did manage to find a missing edge lettering Washington in decent shape that I sold for $20 to a collector at a coin show. I have also pulled 2 1979 SBA near date/wide rim and 1 would probably go MS 63-65. I have not sold them yet but I saw a few go for $15-20 on ebay. I have been looking for a rotated die in dollars and in new quarters also but have yet to find that.
I basically do it for variety as I dump in machines that print out individual denominations so I do it so its not all dime or all halves. They think I am dumping for a vending company so I just make it look a little more like I do. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
S

simplyAARON

Greenie
May 23, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, thanks for your feedback. I was hoping to find a washington, an SBA, or one of those elusive Cheerios dollars, but I guess I'll just have to decide if its worth the trouble of going through a box. I like your cover ID, Gareb :occasion14:

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
My brother tells me that his neighbor has made thousands of dollars on ePay, selling errored small dollars.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread