Are non-silver halves worth saving?

Ben-Ro

May 18, 2012
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
Other
Starting to go through my 2nd box of halves today and I've already found 4 2002 coins in very good condition (I'm not down with the grading terminology yet). They still have a lot of shimmer and just have bag marks on them. I know that anything post-2001 was NIFC, but are they really worth hanging on to? If so, is there any desire for these at the present?

I've also found a couple from the late 80's-early 90's in the same, almost brand new condition. CoinTrackers.com says they have numismatic value of between $3-$5, but I have a hard time believing that. Any insight? Thanks!:icon_thumleft:

Edit: None of them are S-mint marks.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I use to save mine, but recently had to start dipping into them to replace the silvers I was getting out of my boxes, ( I had gotten about 5 good boxes a few weeks ago with 25-40 silvers) and didnt have enough clad to replace them to turn them back in. So remember to keep some extra if your searching boxes, you have to have something to replace the silver ( especially if you get a great box with a bunch of silver). I had no problem changing out the NIFC coins to keep the silver. Good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread