Primary Interest:
Other
Upvote 0

Sluice hunter

Greenie
May 29, 2012
Huron Co, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Jetco Treasure Hawk. Trying to get a real one!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Merc,
Everytime I go into the bank and ask about buying rolls for searching for silver they look at me like Im crazy! And I can never find a bank that has 50cent pieces! Good luck!

Canadian hunter

Dec 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
What do you mean by BWR (bank wrapped rolls?)
I hunt nickels a lot and just today I found a beautiful 1964D nickel along with a worn 1955D.
I also got 2 Brilliant Uncirculated 1972O, 1964O nickels, the beavers look beautiful on them.
Maybe someone's stash from 50s is getting slowly distributed in you area.

OP
OP
Merc Crazy

Merc Crazy

May 31, 2012
West Chester, PA
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Merc,
Everytime I go into the bank and ask about buying rolls for searching for silver they look at me like Im crazy! And I can never find a bank that has 50cent pieces! Good luck!
The crazy looks go away as time goes on and you develop a reputation and relationships. Moat tellers know me as "that crazy coin dude" or something along those lines.
What do you mean by BWR (bank wrapped rolls?)
I hunt nickels a lot and just today I found a beautiful 1964D nickel along with a worn 1955D. I also got 2 Brilliant Uncirculated 1972O, 1964O nickels, the beavers look beautiful on them.
Maybe someone's stash from 50s is getting slowly distributed in you area.
Yes, bank wrapped rolls. I've found many, many BU nickels and have a pretty solid dansco going. I also have tons of dupes I'd love to trade for stuff I don't have.

Silvercrazy

Nov 24, 2006
Merc, I guess I would fall into the category of crazy quanity nickel hunter. I find a ton of clean nickels, I really like finding the tougher dates that are clean, which are very hard to find, I recently found a 49S and 51S that was extra clean and they are both tough underated nickels. Thanks and Good Luck. Nickels are my personal favorite to search, you always seem to find something intresting. The only drawback to them is it is hard to amass much silver, therefore I also search halves.

Canadian hunter

Dec 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
In Canada, nickels were even more fun. Those 12 sided nickels, 12 sided blue steel nickels, war design nickels, KGV and early KGVI and then after 1991 there is not much to collect in terms of varieties. The AU nickel nickels look very very fresh. Those Cu-Ni also look mysterious when under indirect light.

OP
OP
Merc Crazy

Merc Crazy

May 31, 2012
West Chester, PA
Primary Interest:
Other
Merc, I guess I would fall into the category of crazy quanity nickel hunter. I find a ton of clean nickels, I really like finding the tougher dates that are clean, which are very hard to find, I recently found a 49S and 51S that was extra clean and they are both tough underated nickels. Thanks and Good Luck. Nickels are my personal favorite to search, you always seem to find something intresting. The only drawback to them is it is hard to amass much silver, therefore I also search halves.

Where are you located at? If you're in the western half of the country, I'd love to compare what we've found and see if we can help each other out. Here's the coins I could use an upgrade for...

'38 - All
'39 - D and S
'40 - D and S
'41 - D and S
'42 - Philly, non-silver.
'46 - D and S
'47 - D and S
'48 - S
'49 - D
'51 - All
'52 - All
'53 - D
'54 - Philly

Outliers;
'77 - D
'78 - D
'81 - D
'98 - D
'03 - D
'12 - D

I've got everything else in BU or better, and in most cases, duplicates.

Silvercrazy

Nov 24, 2006
Ha, Merc, I am right in the middle Tx. S mints are the toughest here. I am currently attempting to search 1 box of nickels per day for a solid year, I started mid last year and am currently at the start of my eleventh month. I will check my dupes for you, I also put together sets from coins found, I have 2 and need the 50D for a third. The 38 is tough to find in high grade and I could't help you with the newer ones, I only keep nickels from the first Jeff book with the exception of Proofs. Thanks. Dennis.

OP
OP
Merc Crazy

Merc Crazy

May 31, 2012
West Chester, PA
Primary Interest:
Other
Ha, Merc, I am right in the middle Tx. S mints are the toughest here. I am currently attempting to search 1 box of nickels per day for a solid year, I started mid last year and am currently at the start of my eleventh month. I will check my dupes for you, I also put together sets from coins found, I have 2 and need the 50D for a third. The 38 is tough to find in high grade and I could't help you with the newer ones, I only keep nickels from the first Jeff book with the exception of Proofs. Thanks. Dennis.

I've got a Dansco, so it's pretty much everything for me, haha. I think I have some nicer XF or low AU '38's, the one in my album is probably a 55 or so. The D and S are tough, though, my D is an AU50 or so, and the S is VG.

You're lucky to find 2 '50-D's, I just bought one dirt cheap off my local dealer who was looking to move some miscellaneous coins. I've still never found one in circulation, or a '39-D for that matter, my '39-D I traded a '38-S and '39-S for.

If you're into Buffs and V-Nicks, I have some decent-quality examples I could trade away as well. Most of my V-Nicks actually came from one crazy box where I pulled 46 of them. :)

Silvercrazy

Nov 24, 2006
Merc, yes I guess lucky but keep in mind I have searched hundreds and hundreds of boxes, that just shows you how tough some of them are to find in the Wild. For example the 39D (Second least minted) I have 10, but on the otherhand the 39S I only have 5. Other non 30's underated nics are 50P and 55P. I guess I am old fashioned but I only have nickels in my collection that I have pulled myself (And my nephew) he helps me. But I would be more than happy to send you anything I have that you need, I like to help folks who are dedicated to the cause. Thanks. Dennis.

Silvercrazy

Nov 24, 2006
Merc, 46 V's in one box, are you kidding me, was it a factory box or a hand rolled box? That is crazy. I believe I have found 16 or so since I started. I have a album for Buffs, but they are tough with mint marks readable dates and fairly clean in my neck of the woods. My best one found was a 13P variety 1 in somewhere around AU, I hesitate to call anything better than Au found in a factory roll. Thanks. Dennis.

OP
OP
Merc Crazy

Merc Crazy

May 31, 2012
West Chester, PA
Primary Interest:
Other
Merc, yes I guess lucky but keep in mind I have searched hundreds and hundreds of boxes, that just shows you how tough some of them are to find in the Wild. For example the 39D (Second least minted) I have 10, but on the otherhand the 39S I only have 5. Other non 30's underated nics are 50P and 55P. I guess I am old fashioned but I only have nickels in my collection that I have pulled myself (And my nephew) he helps me. But I would be more than happy to send you anything I have that you need, I like to help folks who are dedicated to the cause. Thanks. Dennis.

I don't think I'm that far behind you if you're doing a box a day for a year... Here's my lifetime results. I've only really ramped up the nickels this year, I'm doing about one every other day... one a day is a lot nickels. The '50 also gave me trouble, but I was lucky enough to stumble upon one randomly, the '55 in my set came out of a box that was chock full of BU '50's and '60's.

nickelresults.jpg

EDIT: Just noticed I need to update the silver price on my spreadsheets.

Silvercrazy

Nov 24, 2006
Ha, Merc, you have done very well.I am in my third year (but not solid), one other year I did 1 box per day for 8 monts, I got burnt out a stopped for a few months. This year alone I have found 246 Wars, 117 Buffs 8 V's and 23 Proofs. Thanks. Dennis.

OP
OP
Merc Crazy

Merc Crazy

May 31, 2012
West Chester, PA
Primary Interest:
Other
Ha, Merc, you have done very well.I am in my third year (but not solid), one other year I did 1 box per day for 8 monts, I got burnt out a stopped for a few months. This year alone I have found 246 Wars, 117 Buffs 8 V's and 23 Proofs. Thanks. Dennis.
That's nuts. :) Do you have one bank that handles all your nickel orders? I have multiple banks that I pick up from, and one bank that gives me bags.

Silvercrazy

Nov 24, 2006
I have 7 boxes ordered every week I also get halves from these same 3 banks, I have 5 dump banks, I have a friendly relationship with all my banks, especially the dump banks. I have gotten app 15 boxes of 12D's lately I hate those things that cuts into my old nickel finds for sure. I will most likely do around 345 or so boxes becuse of this. Thanks. Dennis.

OP
OP
Merc Crazy

Merc Crazy

May 31, 2012
West Chester, PA
Primary Interest:
Other
If you end up having some spares of the dates I could use, and you're interested, I'll trade you rolls of '12-P for rolls of '12-D as well.

Silvercrazy

Nov 24, 2006
Thanks, Merc, I will just send you the older nickel you need if I have them, not sure how much I can help keep in mind I have the best 3 of each date in my sets but if I am 4 deep they are yours at no cost. Thanks for the offer on the 12's but I dumped them all back into the wild. Thanks. Dennis.

Nickel Searcher 219

May 25, 2012
It seems like any time I find a semi key date or key date it is in amazing condition.My first and only 1950-d that I found in my 8th roll ever in coin roll hunting about last year is in at least 60 maybe 61.it has almost all mint luster and full steps.and the other day i found my first 1946-s and it is also probably in 61 to 62.full steps,red yellow green toning.And both of the 1950 p' that I have found are in at least au 54-58.anyone else get this "problem"?

OP
OP
Merc Crazy

Merc Crazy

May 31, 2012
West Chester, PA
Primary Interest:
Other
It seems like any time I find a semi key date or key date it is in amazing condition.My first and only 1950-d that I found in my 8th roll ever in coin roll hunting about last year is in at least 60 maybe 61.it has almost all mint luster and full steps.and the other day i found my first 1946-s and it is also probably in 61 to 62.full steps,red yellow green toning.And both of the 1950 p' that I have found are in at least au 54-58.anyone else get this "problem"?
I'll tell you when I find a '50-D. :p But no, my only '39-D is probably a VG coin. I did pull a great, high AU '38-S yesterday, though, nice coin. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread