Fleabay deal, issue

PhattyB

Apr 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, I used BuyItNow to purchase five PCGS slabbed silver coins for about one-third to half of their melt value. A couple hours later, after paying, I get an email and cancellation request that the coins were listed in error..

Well, I thought it was a pretty great buy, so of course it doesn't shock me that the seller wants to back out. They have a flawless record of 25,000+ 100% positive feedback too...

So, part of me says they are the ones that listed it that low, they should honor it.. Am I doing wrong, or not? Should I push to complete the sale or let it go?

Upvote 0

Numismaniac

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2010
I think your only recourse is negative feedback. I have sold stuff that went for less than I had hoped. Still shipped it off. Though cancellation request makes it sound like you have an option. I'd push a little. I know Ebay slams non paying bidders. I would think they would frown on this as well.

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bought and paid for fair and square. Fight for your goods. Negative feedback if necessary.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
A person could argue either way on this issue.

For me, as an ebay seller, we do make mistakes. My wife once listed an item for $49 BIN, with free shipping. It should have been listed as $149 plus $20 to ship. It was worth well over $250. I actually paid more than $49 for the item originally. Thankfully, a low baller made a ridiculously low offer of $29, but only then, did I catch the mistake. The item sold a few hours later for the full $149 plus shipping, and the buyer got a bargain at that.

Let them off the hook. You have no idea what was going on, or who listed it.

Just like in my case, my wife thought she was helping me list while I was away and working....and almost cost us more than $120.

Sure, you can demand the items, and leave negative FB, but what good does it do for anyone, especially if their wife/daughter/son/friend made a mistake during listing?

What would you really be proving? Just showing that you didn't get an awesome deal on silver?

Let it go...

Solid Rolls

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
See how much they value not getting negative feedback. Most Power Sellers rely on the discounts they get for having flawless feedback ratings.
You have the upper hand here, see if they are willing to bargain with you, and see if their error is legit and not just seller's remorse.
You may still be able to get them for a good price. No harm in playing the upper hand here.

Mr. Silver Stash

Mar 3, 2012
The Constitution State
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Bounty Hunter Fast Tracker
Primary Interest:
Other
I think you should complain to Ebay about this. This person broke their word by backing out of an auction. Many other auctions for similar items start at $0.01 to entice buyers. If he has so much positive feedback, and is doing so much business, he should let the sale go at a loss, not you. You definitely have recourse on Ebay if you choose to pursue it.

usernameerror

Apr 30, 2012
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Other
I say pursue the sale. Basically every seller on eBay makes it aware that if you bid on it and win then it's yours. How many times have you seen "Must pay within 24 hours" on auctions? Sellers can't pick and choose. It sucks for the seller but they should have to deal with the loss.

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
See if you can work something out with the seller. I have had issues on both side as a seller and buyer, I have always worked it out to what was fair for both parties. If it can't be done then let them know you want your coins. 99% of the time ebay is one the side of the buyer. Good luck

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMO there is no "correct" answer here. Strong arguments can be made on either side. If I was the seller in this situation, I would hope that the buyer would acknowledge that it was an obvious mistake and allow the deal to be cancelled. On the other hand, if I was digging through the "25 cent bin" at a coin shop and found a 1909 S VDB cent, I would expect to be able to purchase the coin for 25 cents.

I am reasonably sure eBay will side with you if you press the issue. Furthermore, as others have stated, the seller likely won't risk their glowing feedback on a mistake that was entirely his/her fault. On the other hand, with prices at 1/3 - 1/2 spot, it is an obvious mistake. It would be a very kind gesture on your part to let it go.

If you're one of those "good karma" types, then let it go. If you think karma is hokum, then get the coins. I think the seller is certainly obligated to complete the sale. Personally, I would follow the advice you've already received. Contact the seller and talk it out. But, you're certainly entitled to some sort of compensation for allowing the deal to be cancelled, and it should be something better than just buying the coins that you've already agreed to purchase at a higher, but still below spot, price. I would expect something around half the value of the money the seller would lose if this deal was allowed to be completed...at no charge. For example, if you bought the coins for $150, but they were expected to sell for ~$300, then the seller is "losing" ~$150. You should get ~$75 worth of merchandise for free to allow the deal to be cancelled. I think thats very fair and a win-win for both of you.

Last edited:
OP
OP
PhattyB

PhattyB

Apr 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay, I'll let the details out... it was 2 40% Eisenhower PR69DCAM and 3 40% MS67 bicentennial quarters for a grand total of $11.30 shipped.

Everything was PCGS Slabbed, which I really don't care about too much, but it was just extra icing. I'm only a silver collector, not too much into conditions and numismatist values... although I can appreciate it.

So, I'm still torn. Obviously it was a mistake, but it's not that terrible of a mistake. I think it's ~$14 ($20 tops) of a net loss for them.

GEOFF

Aug 30, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i thnk the cost of sending them to PCGS is like $35 a piece. 5 x $35 = $175

OP
OP
PhattyB

PhattyB

Apr 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i thnk the cost of sending them to PCGS is like $35 a piece. 5 x $35 = $175

MODERN (1955 to date) cost $14 each based off their website. Not quite as expensive as you thought, but more expensive than I considered earlier.

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
Everytime I list an item, it says that is everything correct, and you agree to send this item bla bla blah, so you are entitled to the coins no matter the price you paid. Refuse to cancel the transaction, and if the seller refuses to ship escalte to eBay support. Had this happen before

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread