they know about silver!

jnb1994

Mar 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How do you deal with tellers that know about silver or mention it? I was dumping halves at td today and the bag filled and the manager came over to change the bags and there were a couple half dollars that kept coming out of the return slot and the manager took it out and said that it was probably either bent or silver. Then he said he'd try it again and threw it in the machine. He didn't check the coin at all so he obviously wasn't checking for silver. Is it ok to talk about silver in a situation like this where bringing up silver isn't going to educate them any more?

Upvote 0

Solid Rolls

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PARANOIA
par·a·noi·a
noun
1. Psychiatry . a mental disorder characterized by systematized delusions and the projection of personal conflicts, which are ascribed to the supposed hostility of others, sometimes progressing to disturbances of consciousness and aggressive acts believed to be performed in self-defense or as a mission.
2. baseless or excessive suspicion of the motives of others.

:laughing7::laughing7::laughing7::laughing7::laughing7:

Mr. Silver Stash

Mar 3, 2012
The Constitution State
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Bounty Hunter Fast Tracker
Primary Interest:
Other
Next time ask to check them out first, and say you'll just keep those ones. Even keep a couple clad on you to switch out of the bag or reject tray. Otherwise, I wouldn't talk about it. Play dumb. Some tellers are confused about which ones are silver and which aren't, in all denominations. The less they know, the more likely they won't be sniping them and you will find them, IMO. If a teller is talking about finding all this silver and seems very knowledgeable, then I say go ahead and make a new friend. Might help you get boxes, or maybe even get to buy out their stash, etc. - Jonathan

Last edited:

usernameerror

Apr 30, 2012
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Other
Stopped by a local bank last week to ask for halves. The teller only had two. She was about to hand them over to me until she stopped and asked the teller next to her "Are these the ones where you can sell for money?". The teller next to her then proceeded to drop test each half. Didn't bother to look at the dates. Both were clad however so no loss.

Some tellers are aware but not educated.

Sleazyj

Mar 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When they start talking silver I ask if they've found anything good, sometimes offer to buy from them

minkybodl

Aug 19, 2011
I was dumping today and the teller at the bank asked me, "So you have searched through these right? Because there is a guy who comes in asking for them all the time." I said, "yes but he might be looking for something different, I'm looking for certain dates and mintmarks for my collections." Trying to at least give the guy the chance of searching through my dumps. "I'm looking for proof coins with S mintmarks mostly." She went "Ohh, those will be hard to find," and I thought yeah that's why I need to look through so many when she came out with a gem, "He is looking for the Kennedys that they made the year he was assassinated, the guy said they were worth a little more." I played dumb and said I didn't know anything about it. I figure the other guy was at least smart enough to not mention silver so I didn't tell her they were making Franklins the year JFK was killed and just left her as confused as she was.

TRanegar36

May 1, 2012
IL
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Pro-Pointer AT, Stealth 720i Hybrid
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I'm asked about why I'm buying/dumping halves, I tell them the complete truth. Most of them know what you're doing anyways. I don't really care what they think or have to say about it

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
Of course most tellers know about silver. The point is to figure out what they like and what they are willing to part with. Some tellers have no interest in wheats, others try to find a complete set and would have no problem exchanging some silver for some wheats. Some really like Ike dollars and wouldn't mind trading some silver for them, etc.

The goal is to find what they like and what you have to exchange for what they have and what you like.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to a new bank and used their coin machine, the teller struck up a conversation with me about how she has all sorts of weird coins and oldies, walkers, bens, mercs, indian cents, wheats... you name it, she has it. I think you'll be fine, I think quite honestly, it is best for the bank to know what you're doing, you don't have to be upfront with everything you find, just a little here and there...
HH
Buff

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I used to hunt and road trip, I'd tell them that I was looking for dates and mintmarks to fill a book. I told them that I'd never found a 1970 (still haven't), and that '87s are tough to find. The more that they know about silver, the less you'll find. Occasionally, if I was in an area that I knew that I wouldn't be hunting again, I might say that I needed halves and big dollars for poker games and that they were more fun than plastic chips.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread