Newb just bought his first 2 boxes!

slyguy

Jun 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this may be a bit premature, but I just picked up a Brinks box of nickles and pennys to
get me started. They are rotting in my trunk as I speak and cant wait to tear into them
like an 8 year old and a box of wax packs!

Ive been reading the forum for a few weeks gathering tips and info, and just want to say a
big "THANKS" to everyone who has posted for us new guys. I had never heard of this hobby
before, and lets just say the woman was actually supportive of my new hobby... as she put
it.. "so... there is like no cost to this is there? Sounds Cool!"

Wether I get skunked or not, I wont be discouraged!

Thanks again!:headbang:

-AB

Upvote 0

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Just wanted to chime in to correct some info from others. San Fran makes the current proof sets. They began the task in 1968 to the present. Not all S-mint coins are proofs as there were years in the late 60's and 70's that business strike S-mint coins were produced along with proofs. Modern proofs can be discerned by the above mentioned cameo appearance along with the S mintmark.

At no time has a proof been produced in Denver. For the OP, your find is not a proof.

Before 1965, proofs were produced in Philly. The cameo appearance wasn't uniform. More often than not, proofs didn't have a cameo appearance. Cameo's were more of a rarity and consequently will command a hefty premium today. The proofs could be distinguished by the exceptional full strike and more often a uniform polished look. Rims will be square. Once a proof coin enters circulation from this era, it is difficult to ascertain the difference between a First Strike uncirculated coin vs. a proof.

One sure-fire way to discern a proof from a business strike of this era is the presence of of lint marks. Proof coin dies were polished with soft cloths by hand. All too often, lint was left behind and when the coins were struck, lint marks were left behind. Business strike dies were not polished by hand and consequently will not have lint marks. Now, not all proofs will have lint marks, but they are common.

OP
OP
S

slyguy

Jun 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not that its that exciting, but seeing as it was my first found silver, i wanted to post it.
warnick.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread