1969 S Double Strike Penny Found

routinepursuit

Tenderfoot
May 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1969 S Strike Double Penny Found

Hey all, been lurking on this forum for several months and now have something interesting to post. Today I learned what the difference between a double die and a strike double, its about 125k. See the pics of a 1969s memorial penny with strike doubling in the date, mint mark and liberty found in loomis roll. What do you think I can get for it?

Thanks

1969s-obverse.jpg 1969s-date-strike.jpg 1969s-liberty-strike.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

routinepursuit

Tenderfoot
May 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, never said it was a DDO, was just curious if the strike double had any value.

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
Double strike refers to an error in which the planchet is struck by the dies twice. Strike doubling is doubling that occurs during a single strike.
Strike doubling is the same as machine doubling.
OP is correct. It is mechanical doubling.

OP never said it was a double strike. OP said it was strike doubled.

You were the first one to mention double strike.

dacoinman

Sep 30, 2013
Wichita Falls, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Bounty Hunter Land Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is my specialty! I had the luxury to photograph one of these lovelies in 2010. If I can figure out the attachment thing on here I'll include a shot of the obverse. As for strike doubling or Machine doubling, they usually don't carry a premium. But, that is dependent on the amount. I have sold a cent or two over the years for something like a dollar with some extreme strike doubling. The key word here is extreme. Other "striking" types to look for that are very interesting is double strikes. I have acquired a decent collection a couple years ago, and I hope to photograph a 1924 double struck Lincoln cent at a close to 90 degree rotation. Anyway, I hope I can get the pic to attach.

69s1.jpg 69s2.jpg

Interesting side note, notice the strike doubling on the mint mark?

Chuck
www.dacoinman.com - A look at coin varieties from around the world.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread